By The Examiner staff

Four fatal traffic accidents touched Independence over the weekend.

The first happened at about 9 p.m. Friday when 42-year-old Charles W. Mason of Independence was crossing Interstate 70 at Blue Ridge Boulevard. He was struck by ana eastbound vehicle. Police said the crash was under investigation but that no charges against the driver were expected. Police are asking anyone related to Mason or who might have known him to contact them at 816-325-7292 or 816-325-7290.

A few hours later, a driver was killed and a passenger seriously injured in a fiery crash in northwest Independence.

Independence police say speed possibly contributed to the crash at 2:52 a.m. at Arlington Avenue and U.S. 24. The vehicle crashed and burned. The driver, Ashly Young, 25, of Independence, was killed. A passenger, 18-year-old Randy A. Alexander-Leslie of Riverside, Mo., was listed in critical condition at Centerpoint Medical Center.

Police are asking anyone related to Young or who might have known her to contact them at 816-325-7292 or 816-325-7290.

A third accident, Saturday evening, took the life of an Independence man. According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, a 2004 Honda driven by Kenneth W. Brady, 56 of Independence was southbound on Route JJ in Clay County. Brady failed to negotiate a turn and crossed into the path of a 2008 Ford driven by Markeith L. James, 32, also of Independence. It was a head-on crash, and Brady was thrown from the vehicle and killed. James and a passenger, Crystal R. James, 28, sustained minor injuries. Both vehicles were totaled.

A fourth fatal accident a few hours later in Saline County left an Independence woman with serious injuries. The Highway Patrol says it occurred at 12:50 a.m. Sunday on Route YY a quarter of a mile north of I-70. Scott W. Mullins, 19, of Marshall, Mo., was driving a 2000 Dodge Neon and lost control of his car. The Neon went off the left side of the road and overturned several times. Mullins, not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the vehicle and killed. A passenger, John D. Eitel, 19, of Marshall, also was not wearing a seat belt and was partially thrown from the car. He died several hours later at University Hospital in Columbia, where he had been LifeFlighted.

A second passenger, 19-year-old Mikaela M. Giles of Independence, was wearing a seat belt. She also was flown to University Hospital with serious injuries.