The following items were taken from the Sept. 7 through 13, 1913, Examiner.
• Woodland College, where hundreds of middle-aged Independence, Kansas City and other portions of Missouri received their collegiate education, is being torn town. It ceased to be used as a college 12 years ago when Prof. George S. Bryant, who had conducted it for many years, accepted the principalship of the Independence High School. The house was first built by John F. McCauley, a pioneer of this city, and used it as his home for many years. In 1869, Profs. W.A. and W. Buckner purchased the McCauley property, paying $11,000 for it and built additions to it.
• That a man 46 years old is too old to begin preaching was the decision of the Missouri Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in session at St. Charles. A man of that age from the Gallatin District who had applied for license to preach was turned down on account of “advanced age.”
• A Kansas City young man who went to Montana to look at the land in the Fort Peck Indian reservation, which is soon to be opened for settlement and allotted to homeseekers, has returned home with the statement that the ground is “a strip of volcanic ash land, too poor to raise black-eyed peas.”
• About 25 men who own land on East 23rd Street between the limits of Independence and Kansas City, met in the circuit court room to take steps for the opening of that street all the way through and greatly improving it. It has already opened most of the way. East 23rd Street would make the straightest and best thoroughfare from the southern part of Independence to the new Kansas City Union Depot.
– Jillayne Ritchie