Grain Valley residents have at their fingertips another means of getting emergency information.
The Police Department is working through NIXLE, a message publishing sevice used by emergency agencies across the country, to email or text alerts and advisories on developing events.
“It’s a very good tool to have,” Police Chief Aaron Ambrose said at last week’s Chamber of Commerce luncheon.
Users can choose from among three options for each agency in their area:
• Get alerts, which include Amber alerts for missing children, other missing persons reports and boil orders.
• Get both alerts and advisories, which include traffic alerts, power outages, snow route information and other public service announcements. For example, Grain Valley police put up an advisory two weekends ago on road closures for the annual Grain Valley Fair parade.
• Get alerts, advisories and community events. An example of a community event item would be the Grain Valley and Oak Grove Victim Services Unit Poker Run coming up this weekend.
It’s a “very simple process to get started up,” Ambrose said.
There are three options:
• Go to www.nixle.com and register.
• Send a text to 888-777 from your mobile device. Put your ZIP Code in the message.
• Send a text to 888-777 from your mobile device, and put GVPD in the message to get Grain Valley Police messages only.
The Buckner, Raytown and Kansas City police departments also work with NIXLE.