Several local congregations are offering safe alternatives during the time of Halloween:
• Lake Lotawana Community United Methodist Church is holding a trunk or treat event from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the church parking lot. The church is at 28901 N.E. Colbern Road.
There will be special treats, games such as a cupcake walk and a bean toss, a guessing jar and, at 3 p.m., a costume parade with best trunk and best costume prizes.
Participants are asked to bring clean, gently used coats and jackets to be donated to a local charity.
For questions, call 578-4544 or visit www.llcumc.org.
• Liberty Street Community of Christ will host a free trunk or treat event from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the north parking of the church, 416 N. Liberty St., Independence. Children 12 and under are invited to come in costume and bring a bag for their goodies.
A free chili and hot dog dinner will also be served. For more information, call the church at 816-521-4070.
• Northern Boulevard United Methodist Church, at 1800 Northern Blvd. in Independence, is holding a trunk or treat event from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday on the parking lot at the church. For more information, call the church at 816-252-7977.
• Glenwood Park Methodist Church is offering activities, games and food from 6 to 8 p.m. on Halloween. The church is at 10000 E. 23rd St., Independence.
• Summit Grove Community of Christ is offering games, prizes and trunks full of candy from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Halloween. The church is at 411 S. Lee’s Summit Road, Independence.
– The Examiner