Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Independence Post 21 Junior American Legion baseball team seeking players for its summer 2014 team. Players must live in Truman High School district and may not turn 18 during 2014 to be eligible. If interested or need more information, contact Jason Pleacher at 816-918-7826 or email@example.com.
• Avila University hosting a six-week baseball camp starting Jan. 12. Avila head coach Daryl Cronk will direct program in conjunction with U.S. Baseball Academy. Classes are available for players in grades 1-12 and are limited to six players per coach. Sessions are offered in advanced hitting, pitching, catching, fielding and baserunning. Proceeds from the program benefit amateur baseball in Kansas City. Space is limited. Registration is now under way. For more information, visit www.USBaseballAcademy.com or call toll-free 866-622-4487.
• Group exploring interest in a 14-and-under baseball league. Games to be played at Independence Athletic Complex and Crysler Stadium. Regulation baseball distances will be used and modified baseball rules. Season will start in April 2014. Season will consist of 12-game regular season and a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Teams needed to expand the ongoing Junior American Legion baseball program. Age 17-and-under teams needed from the following base high schools: Oak Grove, Van Horn, William Chrisman, Raytown, Odessa and all Lee's Summit schools. League at the present time is a 12-game league with a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or email@example.com for more information.
• Tryouts: Blue Springs Storm competitive baseball team looking for players who played 8U this spring to play 9U spring 2014 season. Team will play 9U in fall and 10U in spring as well as 2 or 3 tournaments per month in spring. Team has several coaches with several years experience coaching high levels of competitive baseball. Team practices throughout the year and works around other fall/winter sports as needed and includes free one-on-one sessions with players. Contact head coach Zack Driskell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-812-0376 if interested in trying out.
• Tryouts: 12U AA Wolverines seeking coachable athletes who can play multiple positions, have sound fundamentals and hustle. Must also have good attitude and strong desire to play and progress in the game of baseball. All positions are open for competition. This will be evaluated at each practice and game. Playing time will be earned,not given. Pitching, catching, middle infielder and strong hitters are a plus. Also need a strong outfielder who can also pitch and play middle infield. Team will have ongoing tryouts until it can build a solid 2013 spring/summer roster to finish out 11U season. Team will play in 6-8 more tournaments and will also play in the 2014 fall season at the12U level. Contact Coach Floyd for tryout or more information at 816-984-9069 or email@example.com.
• Tryouts: Millhouse Baseball seeking players for its competitive teams. 9U team needs three players; 12AA and 12AAA teams need one player; 16-18U needs two pitchers. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Platte County Holiday Classic, Dec. 6-8, at Parkville Athletic Complex, for boys and girls teams in grades 3 through high school. Cost is $175 per team with a three-game guarantee, and a multiple-team discount is available. All games have certified MSHSAA/KSHSAA officials. To enter, contact Jim Soendker at email@example.com or 816-304-8519.
• Valentine’s Day Basketball Classic, Feb. 15-16, 2014, in Harrisonville and Archie, Mo. Cost is $135 per team. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Register now for the Kansas City Sports Commission’s 24th Annual Thanksgiving Day 5K & Family Stroll, on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 28, at the Sprint campus in Overland Park, Kan. Pre-registered participants are guaranteed a long-sleeve T-shirt. Walkers and strollers are welcome at this family-friendly event. Each team with 10 members or more will be entered in a drawing to win a $100 Price Chopper gift card. Registration discounts are available for Sprint employees, combos of 2-4 people and families of five or more members. Children ages 12 and younger can register for the Tom Murphy Fun Run for Kids, which is in memory of Tom Murphy, former Sprint associate and member of the KC Sports Commission Board. The fun run will begin approximately at 10 a.m. and each child will receive a bag of goodies. Volunteers are also needed. For more information or to register, visit www.sportkc.org/sportkc.aspx?pgID=866&event_id=634
• HeadsUp Foundation for PCS Trail Run & 5K Walk, 9 a.m. Nov. 16 at Shawnee Mission Park, Shelter No. 2, in Shawnee, Kan. Registration is available online at www.HeadsUpKC.org. Proceeds to help the foundation started by Kylee Bliss to help patients of post-concussion syndrome.