|
|
Examiner
  • 100 Years Ago

    • email print
  • The following items were taken from the Nov. 9 through 15, 1913, Examiner.
    • A fire which threatened the business portion of Lee’s Summit did about $2,500 worth of damage before it was gotten under control. The fire started in Kattlett’s cleaning and dying establishment. The explosion of a gasoline stove started the trouble. The fire soon spread to the 5 and 10 cent store of W.T. Parrott, which stands next door. The store suffered very great loss. The fire was near the Commercial Bank, and the rear end of the bank building suffered considerably.
    • The factories conducted in the Missouri state penitentiary during the past year turned out products valued at $4.25 million dollars, and paid into the state treasury the sum of $362,228. The state receives for the work of able bodied convicts 70 cents per day and for the work of cripples and women 46 cents per day.
    • About a dozen men who live on the old Wood’s Chapel road came to Independence to protest before the county court against any proposed change in the road. The old Wood’s Chapel road is one of the oldest established roads in the county. The county courts have macadamized the road part of the way from Blue Springs. The people who own farms on the road want it graded to make connection with the Lee’s Summit and Independence road at the Leinwebber farm.
    • Half a dozen girls chaperoned by an elderly married woman spent the day on the river bluffs picknicking. They made coffee, cooked bacon over an open fire and had a fine time, walking both ways. And there was only one dependent husband waiting at home for the bunch.
    – Jillayne Ritchie

        calendar