The following items were taken from the Nov. 16 through 22, 1913, Examiner.
n Fifteen students carried off honors among the smaller schools of Fort Osage Township at the fair in Buckner. They are Charles Webb, Byron Fullerton, Edward Denton, Francis Denton, J.C. Denton, Hazel Denton, Earl Galvin, Ray McGee, Clay McGee, Otto Allen, Elmer Traw, Denton Shrank, Aubrey Shrank, and Arnold and Melvin Shockley.
n The Blitz place at 619 S. Crysler Ave. is to be the seat of a new benevolent association that is to be founded by Independence people. It is to be made a widow’s and orphan’s home. The purpose of the association is to provide a home, at least a temporary one, for dependent, worthy, and respectable widows and their children; and to help them obtain employment where they are capable of working.
n Postmaster General Burleson has ruled that the stamp vending machines used in many places by the government are not guilty of extortion in giving a customer two 2-cent stamps for his nickel. He says for the sake of convenience of the customer, the government is entitled to a profit and the customer should be willing to pay it. The decision was in answer to numerous protests from all over the country.
n A new 2 million dollar hotel is to be built by the Muehlebach estate at the southeast corner of Baltimore Avenue and Twelfth Street in Kansas City, the site of the old First Baptist Church. Samuel J. Whitmore, formerly manager of the Baltimore, and now manager of a big hotel in Los Angeles, is to lease the building for 20 years. It is to be modeled after southern architecture. The legends of the south and reminders of the Louisiana Purchase will be head in the decorations.
– Jillayne Ritchie