An Independence home was searched Monday morning in connection to a death that occurred at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday evening.

According to Kansas City Police Public Information Officer Darin Snapp, the resident who lived at a home on the 400 block of Ponca Drive in Independence was a “person of interest” in relation to the death of 30-year-old Kyle A. Vanwinkle from Smithville. A search warrant was obtained to search that residence.

Around 5:20 p.m. Sunday, Kansas City police were called to Lot A of the Truman Sports Complex in regard to a disturbance.

Officers were informed that Vanwinkle was found inside a green Jeep not belonging to him. When the owner discovered he was inside their vehicle, a struggle ensued, and Vanwinkle collapsed on the pavement as a result. Vanwinkle was taken to a local hospital by the Kansas City Fire Department in critical condition. He was later pronounced dead.

Snapp said that the cause of death is still unknown.

“The body exam did not show any obvious signs of trauma,” Snapp said. “Detectives are awaiting autopsy and toxicology results that take up to 4 to 6 weeks to determine the cause of death and whether or not a crime has occurred.”

Three men were taken into custody Sunday night for questioning and Kansas City police detectives are interviewing several witnesses who were present during the incident.

The three men were later released on Monday and the person of interest who resides on Ponca Drive was taken into custody Monday morning. They were later released Monday night. Information about the evidence collected during the search warrant was not released.

Snapp says further information will be released as the investigation continues.

It wasn't clear whether the men knew each other, or whether the Jeep owner had been in the stadium or was outside tailgating with other fans. Arrowhead has a no re-entry policy, meaning anyone who left the closely contested game would not have been allowed to come back inside.

Ted Crews, a spokesman for the Chiefs, said the team was aware of the incident but could not comment further because of the police investigation.

The death came one year to the day after Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, on Dec. 1, 2012, at a home not far from the stadium. Belcher then drove to the team's practice facility and fatally shot himself in front of then-coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli.

In September 2012, a gunman attacked a Kansas City Royals employee in the same parking lot, which also services Kauffman Stadium. The shooting took place several hours before the scheduled start of the Royals' game, which went on as scheduled.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.