Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Avila University hosting a six-week baseball camp starting Jan. 12. Avila head coach Daryl Cronk will direct program in conjunction with U.S. Baseball Academy. Classes are available for players in grades 1-12 and are limited to six players per coach. Sessions are offered in advanced hitting, pitching, catching, fielding and baserunning. Proceeds from the program benefit amateur baseball in Kansas City. Space is limited. Registration is now under way. For more information, visit www.USBaseballAcademy.com or call toll-free 866-622-4487.
• New Year’s Basketball Classic, Jan. 4-5, at Shawnee Mission (Kan.) School District facilities. For boys and girls teams in grades 2-8 with gold and silver divisions. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Deadline to enter is 11 p.m. Dec. 31. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• League signups now underway for Upward Basketball and Cheerleading at Plaza Heights Baptist Church in Blue Springs. Boys and girls age 4 through fifth grade are eligible for basketball (cheerleading is girls only). League stresses teaching fundamentals, equal playing time and balanced teams. Cost is $75 per player before Jan. 1 and $85 after that. Evaluation and uniform sizing are 9:30-11:30 a.m. Jan. 18 at Plaza Heights. Practices are one hour per week and begin Feb. 17. Games begin Feb. 22 and run through April 12 with a postseason celebration rally at 6 p.m. April 13. For registration forms or more information, visit www.plazaheights.org or call the church office at 816-229-4077.
• Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation Youth Basketball Camp, Dec. 23, 26 and 27 at Harris Park Community Center. Youth in grades 3-5 will have camp 9-10:30 a.m. each day. Grades 6-8 will run 10:30 a.m. to noon each day. Each camp will focus on practicing and improving skills important to the game including shooting, passing, dribbling, defense and more. Registrations made by Dec. 2 will receive the early bird discount with the fee being $37. After that, the fee will be $41. All participants will receive a camp T-shirt. Registrations may be made online at lsparks.net or by calling 816-969-1500.
• Valentine’s Day Basketball Classic, Feb. 15-16, in Harrisonville and Archie, Mo. Cost is $135 per team. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• Caledonia Soccer School Christmas Camp (featuring Missouri Comets player Brian Harris), Dec. 26-27 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Two sessions: 12:30-2 p.m. for ages 6-12 and 2-3:30 p.m. for ages 13-18. Cost is $55 per camper. To register or for more information visit http://www.htgsports.net/scoring/home.aspx?EventID=1976 or send email to Chris Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Soccer Beginnings instruction, starting Jan. 8 at Boost Physical Therapy and Sports Performance, 1254 S.E. Century Drive, Lee’s Summit 64081. An introductory program for children ages 4-9 featuring Missouri Comets players and Summit Soccer Club coaches John Sosa and Bryan Perez. Cost is $65 per player. Program runs 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday evenings from Jan. 8 to Feb. 12. Players need to bring a size 3 ball, shin guards and water. To register or for more information, call 816-977-0377 or send email to email@example.com.
• Fellowship of Christian Athletes Huddle Training free seminar, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 20 at Fieldhouse of Kansas City in Overland Park, Kan. A half-day training event designed to equip and provide resources for campus ministry, for anyone who leads or assists with FCA on their campus or team (like huddle coaches, sponsors, student leaders). A free Chick-fil-A lunch provided. No cost with online registration at www.FCAjoco.org/events.