Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Independence Post 21 Junior American Legion baseball team seeking players for its summer 2014 team. Players must live in Truman High School district and may not turn 18 during 2014 to be eligible. If interested or need more information, contact Jason Pleacher at 816-918-7826 or email@example.com.
• Avila University hosting a six-week baseball camp starting Jan. 12. Avila head coach Daryl Cronk will direct program in conjunction with U.S. Baseball Academy. Classes are available for players in grades 1-12 and are limited to six players per coach. Sessions are offered in advanced hitting, pitching, catching, fielding and baserunning. Proceeds from the program benefit amateur baseball in Kansas City. Space is limited. Registration is now under way. For more information, visit www.USBaseballAcademy.com or call toll-free 866-622-4487.
• Group exploring interest in a 14-and-under baseball league. Games to be played at Independence Athletic Complex and Crysler Stadium. Regulation baseball distances will be used and modified baseball rules. Season will start in April 2014. Season will consist of 12-game regular season and a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Teams needed to expand the ongoing Junior American Legion baseball program. Age 17-and-under teams needed from the following base high schools: Van Horn, William Chrisman, Raytown, Odessa and all Lee's Summit schools. League at the present time is a 12-game league with a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or email@example.com for more information.
• Tryouts: Blue Springs Storm competitive baseball team looking for players who played 8U this spring to play 9U spring 2014 season. Team will play 9U in fall and 10U in spring as well as 2 or 3 tournaments per month in spring. Team has several coaches with several years experience coaching high levels of competitive baseball. Team practices throughout the year and works around other fall/winter sports as needed and includes free one-on-one sessions with players. Contact head coach Zack Driskell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-812-0376 if interested in trying out.
• Tryouts: 12U AA Wolverines seeking coachable athletes who can play multiple positions, have sound fundamentals and hustle. Must also have good attitude and strong desire to play and progress in the game of baseball. All positions are open for competition. This will be evaluated at each practice and game. Playing time will be earned,not given. Pitching, catching, middle infielder and strong hitters are a plus. Also need a strong outfielder who can also pitch and play middle infield. Team will have ongoing tryouts until it can build a solid 2013 spring/summer roster to finish out 11U season. Team will play in 6-8 more tournaments and will also play in the 2014 fall season at the12U level. Contact Coach Floyd for tryout or more information at 816-984-9069 or email@example.com.
• Tryouts: Millhouse Baseball seeking players for its competitive teams. 9U team needs three players; 12AA and 12AAA teams need one player; 16-18U needs two pitchers. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• New Year’s Basketball Classic, Jan. 4-5, at Shawnee Mission (Kan.) School District facilities. For boys and girls teams in grades 2-8 with gold and silver divisions. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Deadline to enter is 11 p.m. Dec. 31. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• League signups now underway for Upward Basketball and Cheerleading at Plaza Heights Baptist Church in Blue Springs. Boys and girls age 4 through fifth grade are eligible for basketball (cheerleading is girls only). League stresses teaching fundamentals, equal playing time and balanced teams. Cost is $75 per player before Jan. 1 and $85 after that. Evaluation and uniform sizing are 9:30-11:30 a.m. Jan. 18 at Plaza Heights. Practices are one hour per week and begin Feb. 17. Games begin Feb. 22 and run through April 12 with a postseason celebration rally at 6 p.m. April 13. For registration forms or more information, visit www.plazaheights.org or call the church office at 816-229-4077.
• Valentine’s Day Basketball Classic, Feb. 15-16, in Harrisonville and Archie, Mo. Cost is $135 per team. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Soccer Beginnings instruction, starting Jan. 8 at Boost Physical Therapy and Sports Performance, 1254 S.E. Century Drive, Lee’s Summit 64081. An introductory program for children ages 4-9 featuring Missouri Comets players and Summit Soccer Club coaches John Sosa and Bryan Perez. Cost is $65 per player. Program runs 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesday evenings from Jan. 8 to Feb. 12. Players need to bring a size 3 ball, shin guards and water. To register or for more information, call 816-977-0377 or send email to email@example.com.
• Fellowship of Christian Athletes Huddle Training free seminar, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 20 at Fieldhouse of Kansas City in Overland Park, Kan. A half-day training event designed to equip and provide resources for campus ministry, for anyone who leads or assists with FCA on their campus or team (like huddle coaches, sponsors, student leaders). A free Chick-fil-A lunch provided. No cost with online registration at www.FCAjoco.org/events.