All members of Congress take this oath of office: ďI do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.Ē

A new CNN/ORC International poll finds two-thirds of Americans believing the 113th Congress is the least productive in their lifetime, with 73 percent saying lawmakers have done nothing to address the nationís problems.

They are the Congress of ďI donít care.Ē

They donít care that a Public Religion Research Institute survey indicates 63 percent of adults nationwide favor allowing undocumented immigrants to become citizens if they meet certain requirements.

They donít care that a Washington Post-ABC poll shows a large majority of Americans want Congress to substantially increase the minimum wage as part of an effort to reduce the nationís expanding economic inequality.

More than 900 mayors in a new poll citing more than 40 districts and 20 states show voters overwhelmingly support background checks for all gun sales.

They donít care that most polls say America is against food stamp cuts, or for improving our infrastructure, or that a Hart Research Associates poll found 55 percent in favor of extending unemployment compensation.

They do care what the National Rifle Association, the Tea Party, the Koch Brothers, George Soros, FOX News, Media Matters, Rush Limbaugh, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, booming corporations and self-serving lobbyists think.

House Speaker John Boehner defended his record to the Huffington Post: ďThe House has continued to listen to the American people and to focus on their concerns. Now, whether itís the economy, whether itís jobs, whether itís protecting the American people from ĎObamacare,í weíve done our work.Ē

With that kind of logic Boehner must be persuaded by the 27 percent of the American people who think Congress is faithfully discharging its duties as opposed to the other 73 percent who do not. Consider that only 65 bills finally made it to President Obamaís desk for signature. Worst obtuse Congress ever.

I give you President John Adamsí toast: Independence forever.

And I wish the best in 2014 for you, your family, the nation and Congress.

Jerry Plantz lives in Leeís Summit. His website is at Reach him at