Blue Springs boys basketball coach Adam Jones is giving the Wildcats a few days off – and after Friday night’s 81-76 triple overtime win visiting Raytown South, they need it.

Or at least Jones needs it.

“My lungs need it right now,” he said after the non-conference victory.

Admittedly, Jones was exhausted after the extended thriller. Darius Vaughn, whose two foul shots with 18.9 seconds left in the third overtime helped the Wildcats secure the victory, might have had more energy than his coach.

“I’m tired, but I’m always ready to go,” said Vaughn, who finished with 15 points.

Post player Brian Armstrong, whose layup as time expired capped the win, is grateful to have the weekend off before practicing again Monday. The Wildcats (6-5) “need a break,” he said.

“We’ve been working really hard at practice lately,” said Armstrong, who finished with a double-double of 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Raytown South (5-6) forced Blue Springs to work for Friday’s win. The Wildcats opened with an 8-2 run and led 15-11 after one quarter, but found themselves trailing 32-29 at halftime and 45-42 after three quarters.

Blue Springs trailed for much of the fourth quarter, but Vaughn converted a traditional three-point play to give the Wildcats a 56-54 lead with 1:58 left in the regulation, their first advantage since leading 41-39 briefly during the third quarter.

Demon Hyler’s field goal made it 56-56. Kirk Finley’s short jumper made it 58-56 Wildcats, but Ronyeah Sigars made two of three foul shots with 1:01 left to knot it at 58-58 and force overtime.

It was tied 66-66 after the first overtime. With Blue Springs trailing 66-65 and less than a minute left, Taysean Goodwin sank one of two free throws to help force overtime No. 2.

In that extra period, South’s Brian Trimble sank a 3-pointer with 13.1 seconds left to force the final overtime at 71-all.

“That was huge for him,” Cardinals coach Brad Oestreich said. “We ran a little set. He hadn’t shot it for a while, so I didn’t know how it was going to work. But he took it and shot it and it went in.”

Kai Miller made one of two foul shots for Blue Springs to break a 76-76 tie with 2:04 remaining. Vaughn’s two free throws and Armstrong’s layup finished it.

“I thought about dunking it, but Coach would’ve gotten mad,” Armstrong said.

Following their time off, the Wildcats will practice and play in the Carl Junction Tournament before beginning their conference schedule.