50 YEARS AGO
The following items were taken from the Jan. 18 through 24, 1964, Examiner.
• The first codification of Independence city laws since 1931 is now in the hands of the printers. The codification was performed by James S. Cottingham, assistant city counselor, who was assisted by Kenneth H. Taylor, city attorney.
• The Boy Scouts of America received one of its largest gifts ever when George E. Powell announced he was giving his 680-acre farm, Elm Crest, to the Scouts. The farm is located a mile and a half north of U.S. 50, just east of the Jackson County line. Powell is chairman of the board of the Yellow Transit Co.
• Charles O. Finley declared he would file a suit immediately against the American League for rejecting his request to transfer the Kansas City Athletics baseball team to Louisville. He was also angered that he must work out a new lease with Kansas City for use of Municipal Stadium.
• Dr. Garland Tickemeyer, president of Blue Valley Stake, and Elder Blair McClain, president of the RLDS Center Stake, represented the church at the meeting of the Missouri Council of Churches at Jefferson City. Dr. Tickemeyer is a member of the executive committee of the Missouri Council of Churches.
• The Jackson County Historical Society’s new presidential medallion was presented to Mrs. J. Roger DeWitt, the first such honor bestowed. Mrs. DeWitt listed the project to acquire the Civl War Wornall House in Kansas City as the most import project for the society this year.
100 YEARS AGO
The following items were taken from the Jan. 18 through 24, 1914, Examiner.
• After Jan. 23, all bread sold in Independence by baker, salesman or grocer, must weigh one pound net to the loaf or a multiple of one pound. The penalty of violation is a fine of $10. The bread ordinance was passed by the city council on Jan. 13 and suspended until Jan. 23 to give dealers a chance to get rid of stock and the bakers a chance to arrange for making standard loaves for the Independence trade. The new ordinance fixes the weight arbitrarily and makes a standard loaf, but does not attempt to fix the price at which it is sold.
• A new civic organization has been born in this city; and it has been christened “The Independence Social Club.” The avowed purpose of the club is “To develop the Christian character and usefulness of its members; and to improve the social, spiritual, mental, and physical condition of the young people.” Board members are: Lowell M. Hildebrand, Procter Kerr, F.C. Child, C.J. Walden, E.T. Hinkel, A.F. Guibert, W.H. Phipps, J. Allen Prewitt, A.O. Tate, E.P. Burton, D.J. Krahl, I.A. Smith, A.J. Bundschu and William Schowengerdt.
• The Independence Chapter of the U.D.C. celebrated the birthday anniversary of Robert E. Lee. In addition to several talks about his life and character, the group bestowed Confederate Crosses of honor to old veterans of the “Lost Cause.” Three were there to receive their decorations, J.E. Mundy of Oak Grove, who enlisted as a member of Colonel Shanks regiment when he was 13; Marcus Fristoe of Oak Grove, who enlisted at 16, and James R. Williams, who served in the Texas Cavalry and recently came to this city and lives on Kansas Street.
– Jillayne Ritchie