Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Missouri Express, 6-year-old machine pitch team for 2014. Workouts at The Yard. Contact Phil Hook at 816-500-9032 email@example.com for more information.
• Tryouts: Kansas City T-Bones will hold open tryouts for 2014 season on 11 a.m. April 26 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark in Kansas City, Kan. Members of the T-Bones coaching staff, former professional players and college coaches will conduct the tryout. Pre-registration is $85 per player. On-site registration, which begins at 9:30 a.m., is $100 per player. The coaching staff will evaluate players for a possible roster spot with the T-Bones, or to recommend for other professional teams. To register or for additional information, please contact Crystal McQuain at 913-328-5618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tryouts: Wildcats 12U AA baseball team is looking for one or two players to round out spring roster. Team will play 7-9 tournaments in addition to state. Seeking dedicated and committed players to complete team. For a tryout, contact Jeff Nelson at 816-536-8977.
• Independence Post 21 Junior American Legion baseball team seeking players for its summer 2014 team. Players must live in Truman High School district and may not turn 18 during 2014 to be eligible. If interested or need more information, contact Jason Pleacher at 816-918-7826 or email@example.com.
• Group exploring interest in a 14-and-under baseball league. Games to be played at Independence Athletic Complex and Crysler Stadium. Regulation baseball distances will be used and modified baseball rules. Season will start in April. Season will consist of 12-game regular season and a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Teams needed to expand the ongoing Junior American Legion baseball program. Age 17-and-under teams needed from the following base high schools: Van Horn, William Chrisman, Raytown, Odessa and all Lee's Summit schools. League at the present time is a 12-game league with a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or email@example.com for more information.
• Tryouts: AAU Lady Tigers Basketball, conducting tryouts for local and elite travel girls teams. Tryouts for girls in grades 6-8 have passed (call for availability). Final tryout for girls in grades 6 through JV (grades 9-10) is March 17. For more information, contact Coach Waterman at 816-977-8368 or visit www.ladytigersbball.com.
• Fools Day Classic Tournament, March 29-30, in Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. March 25. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation beginning bowling classes set for March and April at Lunar Bowl, 2001 N.W. Missouri 7 in Blue Springs. Class, for boys and girls ages 6-16, teaches basics of bowling. Cost is $15 for three weeks of instruction, a T-shirt and bowling shoe rental. Sessions are 9:30-11 a.m. Saturdays March 15-29 and April 4-19. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation’s Spring Spin bike ride, April 26 at Charles David Hartman Park (700 S.W. Old Pryor Road). Rides – either 25 or 50 miles – start at 8 a.m. rain or shine. Route will be marked and maps are available online (www.lsparks.net) and at packet pick-up 5:30-7 p.m. April 25 at the Harris Park Community Center. Cost is $25 ($20 for riders under 13) if registered by April 25, and $30 ($25 for riders under 13) the day of the ride. Register by April 11 to guarantee a Spring Spin T-shirt and goody bag. Each rider must be 18 years old or accompanied by an adult. Everyone must wear an approved bicycle helmet during the ride and sign a waiver form before the ride. For more information or to register, visit www.lsparks.net or www.active.com or call Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation at 816-969-1500.
• Hy-Vee Alex Smith Football ProCamp presented by SunnyD, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 7-8 at Shawnee Mission West High School in Overland Park, Kan. Participants will learn fundamental football skills and have the opportunity to meet and interact with Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith. Each camper will receive an autograph from Smith and a team photo with him. Smith will direct the camp with help from area college and high school coaches. Boys and girls of all skill levels in grades 1-8 are eligible. Cost is $149 per participant. Registration and more information is available by visiting AlexSmithCamp.com.
• The 2014 Drumm Farm Golf Club Ladies' 18 Hole Golf League begins with an organizational meeting on Tuesday, April 8, at 9 a.m. at the Drumm Farm Golf Club, 15400 E. 34th St., Independence. Registration fee is $52. There is a cost of $32 (plus tax) per week played. This includes greens fees and cart (league members may play for this same price Monday through Friday). Play begins at 8 a.m. Tuesday, April 15, and continues weekly on Tuesdays through Oct. 14. For further information and registration forms, call 816-350-9900 or visit the Drumm Farm website at www.drummfarmgolf.com and click on "Leagues." Call if you are interested in participating in a nine-hole league.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation beginning gymnastics classes set for April at Rebound Gymnastics, 8316 S. Missouri 7 in Blue Springs. Class, for girls ages 6-12, teaches basics of bars, beam, vault and trampoline. Cost is $23 per four-class session. Sessions are 8-8:30 p.m. Tuesday nights April 1-22. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Introduction to Martial Arts classes are set for April, May and June at Karate for Kids, 629-A Mock Plaza (behind Applebee’s), in Blue Springs. Classes are for ages 4 to adult. Cost for the six-week, 12-class session is $46.75 per person and includes a uniform. Ages 4-6 meet 5:30-6 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, April 14 to May 21 or April 28 to June 4. Ages 7 and older meet 5:30-6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, April 15 to May 22 or April 29 to June 5. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Registration is open for the Independence Park Trot 5K Run/Walk, 8 a.m. Saturday, May 3, at Waterfall Park, located just south of Bass Pro Shops. The event is free. A Kids Run for children 10 and younger also is available. The event will take place rain or shine. Online registration for the event at www.IndependenceParkTrot.com will continue through April 20 and full information is available on that website.
• Ultramax Sports Kansas City second annual Go Girl Run, which benefits health-related women’s and children’s charities, Sunday, Sept. 28at Prairiefire in Overland Park, Kan. The Run’s half-marathon and 5K events will start and finish in the heart of the new, mixed-use development’s entertainment district. The 2014 Kansas City event will feature a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk open to men and women and a half marathon (13.1 miles) run for female participants only. The event is designed for both accomplished and beginner runners and walkers. Participants can register at www.gogirlrun.com, at Ultramax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk Road, Prairie Village, Kan., or by emailing Ultramax Sports at email@example.com.
• Jackson County Parks and Recreation Spring Softball Leagues registering teams through March 14. Play begins March 23-27 at the Frank White Jr. Softball Complex in Lee’s Summit and the 140th & Holmes Softball Complex in Kansas City. Men’s, coed and church divisions are available. Cost is $475 per team at the Frank White Jr. Complex and $440 per team at the 140th & Holmes Complex plus a $20 USSSA sanctioning fee (if team not already sanctioned in 2014). League is 10 games played over five weeks. For more information or to register, visit MakeYourDayHere.com, call 816-503-4878 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Spring Adult Softball Leagues begin week of March 30. Leagues available are: Sunday Men’s C, D and E; Monday Men’s B Doubleheader and Men’s Fast-Pitch; Tuesday Women’s; Wednesday Men’s D Doubleheader and Coed; Thursday Men’s Church; and Friday Coed Doubleheader. Cost is $230 for single-game leagues and $380 per team for doubleheader leagues. Deadline to register is March 12. A managers meeting is set for 7 p.m. March 19 at Vesper Hall. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation youth tennis classes, presented by the Metro East Tennis Center, are set for April and May at Rotary Park, 600 N.W. Vesper St., in Blue Springs. Classes, for boys and girls ages 5-16, teaches basics of tennis. There are two sessions. The 10 & Under session, for ages 5-10, meets 5:30-6 p.m. Thursdays from April 10 to May 15. Cost is $57 per participant. The Youth Tennis sessions, for ages 11-16, meets 6-7 p.m. Thursdays from April 10 to May 15. Cost is $62.50 per participant. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Cardio Tennis begins April 9 at Metro East Tennis Center, 3109 N.W. Vesper St., in Blue Springs. Group tennis fitness program is for all ages and abilities. Cost is $52 per person. The class meets 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays from April 9 to May 14. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Northwest Missouri State University 2014 Tennis Camps taking registrations for three Monday through Friday sessions: June 9-13, June 16-20 and June 23-27. Players ages 10-18 eligible. Cost is $350 per person per session or $150 per session for commuters not staying on campus in Maryville. For more information, contact head tennis coach Mark Rosewell at email@example.com or 660-562-1312.