Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Missouri Express, 6-year-old machine pitch team for 2014. Workouts at The Yard. Contact Phil Hook at 816-500-9032 or email@example.com for more information.
• Tryouts: Kansas City T-Bones will hold open tryouts for 2014 season on 11 a.m. April 26 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark in Kansas City, Kan. Members of the T-Bones coaching staff, former professional players and college coaches will conduct the tryout. Pre-registration is $85 per player. On-site registration, which begins at 9:30 a.m., is $100 per player. The coaching staff will evaluate players for a possible roster spot with the T-Bones, or to recommend for other professional teams. To register or for additional information, please contact Crystal McQuain at 913-328-5618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Independence Post 21 Junior American Legion baseball team seeking players for its summer 2014 team. Players must live in Truman High School district and may not turn 18 during 2014 to be eligible. If interested or need more information, contact Jason Pleacher at 816-918-7826 or email@example.com.
• Group exploring interest in a 14-and-under baseball league. Games to be played at Independence Athletic Complex and Crysler Stadium. Regulation baseball distances will be used and modified baseball rules. Season will start in April. Season will consist of 12-game regular season and a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Teams needed to expand the ongoing Junior American Legion baseball program. Age 17-and-under teams needed from the following base high schools: Van Horn, William Chrisman, Raytown, Odessa and all Lee's Summit schools. League at the present time is a 12-game league with a postseason tournament. Please contact John Curtis at 816-516-3760 or email@example.com for more information.
• BSAA Blue Springs Basketball Spring Bash, April 25-27 at Blue Springs middle schools, for boys teams in grades 4-8. Cost is $150 per team with a three-game guarantee. Deadline to enter is 11 p.m. April 20. All certified MSHSAA officials. For more information or to register, visit bsaabasketball.com, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-729-6822.
• SportsCity Sunday Afternoon Adult Basketball league starts May 4. Players must be age 16 or older by May 4 to be eligible. Games are played on Sundays. Cost is $400 per team, but if paid in full by first game, save $50. Deadline to register is April 27. Visit www.sportscitykc.com for a registration form or more information or call 816-229-1314.
• Rim Rocker Tournament, April 26-27, in Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. April 22. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• eXcel Summer Opener Tournament, May 17-18, in Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. May 13. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Memorial Day Classic Tournament, May 31-June 1, in Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. May 27. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• eXcel June Jamfest, June 7-8, in Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. June 3. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation’s Spring Spin bike ride, April 26 at Charles David Hartman Park (700 S.W. Old Pryor Road). Rides – either 25 or 50 miles – start at 8 a.m. rain or shine. Route will be marked and maps are available online (www.lsparks.net) and at packet pick-up 5:30-7 p.m. April 25 at the Harris Park Community Center. Cost is $25 ($20 for riders under 13) if registered by April 25, and $30 ($25 for riders under 13) the day of the ride. Register by April 11 to guarantee a Spring Spin T-shirt and goody bag. Each rider must be 18 years old or accompanied by an adult. Everyone must wear an approved bicycle helmet during the ride and sign a waiver form before the ride. For more information or to register, visit www.lsparks.net or www.active.com or call Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation at 816-969-1500.
• Hy-Vee Alex Smith Football ProCamp presented by SunnyD, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 7-8 at Shawnee Mission West High School in Overland Park, Kan. Participants will learn fundamental football skills and have the opportunity to meet and interact with Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith. Each camper will receive an autograph from Smith and a team photo with him. Smith will direct the camp with help from area college and high school coaches. Boys and girls of all skill levels in grades 1-8 are eligible. Cost is $149 per participant. Registration and more information is available by visiting AlexSmithCamp.com.
• Junior Golf League signups set for April 19 and 26 at Drumm Farm Golf Club. League will start first week of June and cost is $150 per child for 12 weeks of golf and instruction. Open to all skill levels ages 5-16. April 19 signup is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and April 26 signup is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. More signup dates will be announced later. League being built as a true little league-structured, team-oriented program and parents are encouraged to get involved. Also seeking sponsorships for league equipment, training aids, etc., to provide clubs and equipment for those who can’t afford it. Contact TJ Blankenship at 816-519-6737 or Tj@metrogolfevents.com or visit www.metrogolfevents.com.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Introduction to Martial Arts classes are set for April, May and June at Karate for Kids, 629-A Mock Plaza (behind Applebee’s), in Blue Springs. Classes are for ages 4 to adult. Cost for the six-week, 12-class session is $46.75 per person and includes a uniform. Ages 4-6 meet 5:30-6 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, April 28 to June 4. Ages 7 and older meet 5:30-6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, April 29 to June 5. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Registration is open for the Independence Park Trot 5K Run/Walk, 8 a.m. Saturday, May 3, at Waterfall Park, located just south of Bass Pro Shops. The event is free. A Kids Run for children 10 and younger also is available. The event will take place rain or shine. Online registration for the event at www.IndependenceParkTrot.com will continue through April 20 and full information is available on that website.
• Ultramax Sports Kansas City second annual Go Girl Run, which benefits health-related women’s and children’s charities, Sunday, Sept. 28 at Prairiefire in Overland Park, Kan. The Run’s half-marathon and 5K events will start and finish in the heart of the new, mixed-use development’s entertainment district. The 2014 Kansas City event will feature a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk open to men and women and a half marathon (13.1 miles) run for female participants only. The event is designed for both accomplished and beginner runners and walkers. Participants can register at www.gogirlrun.com, at Ultramax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk Road, Prairie Village, Kan., or by emailing Ultramax Sports at email@example.com.
• Summit Soccer Club free 2014 Mad Skills Camp, 5-7 p.m. May 27 at Franke Fields in Lee’s Summit (3650 Rennau Drive). Camp will be run by Missouri Comets players John Sosa, Lucas Rodriguez, Bryan Perez and Jason Jacob. For more information, visit www.summitsoccerclub.org or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Northwest Missouri State University 2014 Tennis Camps taking registrations for three Monday through Friday sessions: June 9-13, June 16-20 and June 23-27. Players ages 10-18 eligible. Cost is $350 per person per session or $150 per session for commuters not staying on campus in Maryville. For more information, contact head tennis coach Mark Rosewell at email@example.com or 660-562-1312.
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation Summer Youth Volleyball League at Harris Park Community Center. Divisions include 10U, 12U and 14U. Games held on Wednesdays, May 28 to July 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. Eight-game guarantee. League follows HOA rules concerning ball size and net height. LSPR will provide an up official and teams will provide a linesman. Cost is $375 per team when registered by April 30. Fee increases to $412 after that. Practices are not provided. You can register at any LSPR facilities, online (cityofls.net/Parks.aspx) or over the phone with MasterCard, Visa or Discover. Contact Rob at 816-969-1542 for more information.