U.S. 24 work to keep traffic diverted to I-435

A section of U.S. 24 just west of Independence will remain closed for another four weeks.

The busy road – also called Independence Avenue in Kansas City and parts of Independence – has been closed since March for extensive renovations. It’s the part of the road from Manchester Trafficway west to Ewing Avenue, several blocks near the old GST Steel plant west of Interstate 435.

The road crosses the Blue River and several sets of railroad tracks on two long bridges. MoDOT is replacing the bridge over the river and replacing expansion joints over the railroad tracks.

The road was to have been reopened on Monday, but the Missouri Department of Transportation says bad weather has pushed that back to July 14.

Traffic is being detoured to Interstate 435, to Truman Road and to Hardesty.

Independence man charged as part of meth indictment

An Independence man is among several people facing federal drug charges in connection with selling methamphetamines.

Arturo-Lorenzo Roldan, 33, of Independence, as well as three residents of Warrensburg, one Sedalia resident and one Clinton resident were charged in a 22-count indictment, according to the office of the U.S. attorney for the Western District of Missouri. A federal grand jury handed up the indictment, which was unsealed last week.

The U.S. attorney’s office says the six bought and sold meth from last December through last month. One of the six, Phuoc Hong, 31, also known as Tong Hong, of Warrensburg, came to Independence and bought meth from Roldan. Hong sold the drug from various business parking lots in the Kansas City area and from his home in Warrensburg. He also sold meth to the other four individuals. Hong also is charged with illegally possessing a firearm and a pipe bomb.

Deputy honored for saving life of small KC boy

Jackson County has honored a sheriff’s deputy for quick thinking and actions that saved a little boy’s life.

Deputy Tony D. Uredi was off duty when he did a car stop after seeing an accident around 2 a.m. April 12 near Armour Boulevard and Broadway in Kansas City.

A couple living in that area, Janell Stevens and Jose A. Coronado, were up tending their baby, Andre, who was sick. Andre began having seizures and trouble breathing. He began to go limp. Stevens had been Uredi’s vehicle in front of her house and ran to him with the baby.

Uredi radioed for help. The baby was turning blue, and Uredi began CPR. The baby began to breathe on his own and regained consciousness. At Monday’s County Legislature meeting, he appeared fine.

“You’re our guardian angel,” Stevens told Uredi.

Col. Hugh Mills of the Sheriff’s Department said, “I’m a firm believer that the good Lord sometimes puts us exactly where we need to be.”

Legislators passed a resolution applauding Uredi’s efforts. The deputy, surrounded by family, spoke briefly.

“Anybody that has kids,” he said, “understands what crazy things go through your head with you see one of them suffering.”

– Jeff Fox