Lake City Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center is offering the following programs in July. The Center is located at 28505 E. Truman Road in Buckner. All activities are free, but registration is required, unless otherwise noted. Call 816-249-3194.
• Introduction to Double Trap, for age 16 and older, 6 to 9 p.m. July 8. This is an advanced shooting sport, which is geared towards those shooters who are accomplished at shooting American Trap and would like to challenge themselves. Instruction will be on proper stance, choke selection and swing through. Open to everyone; free shooting. Walk-ins welcome.
• Introduction to Skeet Shooting, for ages 12 and older, 9 to 11:30 a.m. July 12. Skeet shooting is a great way to improve your basic shotgun skills and improve your hit ratio on all types of winged game.
• A Day at the Range, for all ages, noon to 6 p.m. July 12. The Shooting Range is opening its doors for a free day of shooting. Try your skill on one of our trap/skeet fields, archery or on either firing range sight in your rifles and pistols. Everyone is welcome, no registration required.
• Basic Handgun, for ages 18 and older, 8 to 11:30 a.m. July 13. This is a novice class for people who have little or no experience in handling and shooting a handgun. Topics: Safety in the home, types of handguns, different parts of the handgun, variety of calibers, ammunition and marksmanship. Class includes range time.
• Teens and Firearm Safety, for ages 13 to 17, 5 to 8 p.m. July 16. This course is specifically designed for teens to explore the safe handling of firearms. The group will meet once a month all summer long and uncover some fun and exciting new challenges for everyone. Discover new and exciting experiences, such as rifles, pistols, muzzleloaders, shotguns and archery.
• Women's Firearm Safety: Phase I, for women ages 18 and older, 8 to 11:30 a.m. July 19 or Aug. 16. This course is designed specifically for women who are interested in gaining knowledge about firearms. Topics: Introducing a firearm into the home, basic marksmanship and laws regarding ownership of firearms.
• Introduction to Paracord Weaving, for ages 8 to 17 with parents, 9 to 11 a.m. July 23. Learn to weave paracord into bracelets, friendship bracelets and other articles using the following types of weave: Cobra Weave, S-Weave, Half Hitch, Four Strand Weave and Back Cobra Weave. All material is supplied and the kids will go home with a new keychain.
• Beyond the Basics of Pistol Shooting, for adults, 5:30 to 9 p.m. July 27. If you're looking to expand your knowledge and abilities on the pistol range, this course teach you shoot strong and weak hand, work on loading and reloading your pistol and new techniques to improve your overall marksmanship. Geared toward the more advanced shooters.