Vacation Bible school coming up
Area churches are holding vacation Bible school:
• “Workshop of Wonders: Imagine and Build with God,” will be held for children 3 years old to the fifth grade. It’s from 9 a.m. to noon July 14 through 18 at Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church, 3108 W. U.S. 40, Blue Springs. There will be music, science, crafts, recreation and Bible stories. Each day the kids will be encouraged to bring something in to help people in need. At 6 p.m. July 17, there will be a potluck dinner and a program. To register, call 816-229-3367.
• “Super Heroes of Faith,” for children of all denominations ages 3 through 12, is the them at St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 2415 R.D. Mize Road, Independence. It’s from 6 to 9 p.m. July 18 and 2 to 5 p.m. July 19. There will be Bible lessons (Samson and Esther), crafts, music, snacks and recreation, plus a picnic on July 19. Call Marcia Armstrong at 816-217-6364 or Shirley Weaver at 816-716-1184.
Glenwood Park free clinic set this Saturday
Glenwood Park Methodist Church will hold a free health clinic from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday (July 5).
The church, at 10000 E. 23rd St., Independence, holds the clinics on the first Saturday of the month. The screenings, sponsored by the Black Nurse Association and the Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center, include glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure and body mass index testing.
For more information, call the church at 816-254-5116.
Sermon series on Ten Commandments
The First Presbyterian Church in Independence is presenting a summer sermon series on the Ten Commandments on Sunday (July 6) and July 20. Worship in the traditional style begins at 9:30 a.m., with a more contemporary service at 11:30 a.m.
The church is at 100 N. Pleasant St. For more information, contact the church at 816-252-6662 or www.fpcindep.org.
‘Come and Find Rest’ is Stone Church sermon theme
Larry Crozier will speak on the theme “Come and Find Rest” at the 10:20 a.m. worship service on Sunday (July 6) at the Stone Church Community of Christ, 1012 W. Lexington Ave., Independence.
Crozier is a High Priest and Pastor for the Invitation and Fellowship Ministries.
For more information, call 816-254-2211 or visit www.stone-church.org.
Wesleyan tradition is focus of eight-week study
Scott J. Jones will present Christianity from a Wesleyan perspective. The eight-week study begins at 9:30 a.m. Sunday (July 6) at Northern Boulevard United Methodist Church, 1800 S. Northern Blvd., Independence.
For each session, there is a video and a presenter shares a personal faith experience. The session titles are:
• Following Christ Is a Way of Life.
• Love Ultimately Wins.
• It’s a Good World with Issues.
• Turn Your Life Around with Grace.
• You Are Not Alone.
• Transform Yourself and the World.
• Invite Others on the Journey.
• Christ No Matter What.
For more information, call the church at 816-252-7977 or visit www.nbumcmo.org.
‘The Lord and His Prayer’
Pastor Jeff Kirby will preach on the theme “The Lord and His Prayer” this weekend at the United Methodist Chuch of the Resurrection. The church, based in Leawood, has a campus at 601 E. Jefferson, Blue Springs. Worship is at 9 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Sunday. Nursery care for children from birth through age 3 is available, and Sunday school is for children age 4 through the fifth grade during services. All are invited for coffee before worship near the east entrance
St. Cyril’s Day in Sugar Creek
St. Cyril’s is hosting its third annual St. Cyril’s Day, celebrating the Feast of Saints Cyril and Methodius, on July 12 at the church, 11231 Chicago Ave., Sugar Creek.
A Latin Mass will be celebrated at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner and music by the Sugar Creek Tamburitzans and Hrvatski Obicaj. Dinner includes haluski, lamb, sausages, Croatian stew, salad, dessert and drinks.
Free will donation. For more information, call Mary Puhr at 816-836-8599 or 816-769-5177.
Handbells at First Presbyterian
The Raytown Christian Church handbell choir will perform at 3 p.m. July 13 at the First Presbyterian Church, 100 N. Pleasant St., Independence. This is the second of the summer concert series at the church. The July concert includes organist Scott Foppiano, and in August, pianist and composer Mark Hayes.
Tickets are $10 and are available at the door, by calling or texting 816-835-5808, or visiting www.fpciPerformingArtsSeries.com.
A play, ‘A Vase of Fresh Flowers,’ at Nativity of Mary
The original production of “A Vase of Fresh Flowers” will be presented at 7 p.m. July 17 at Nativity of Mary Church, 10017 E. 36th Terrace, Independence. The play focuses on the different paths taken by women who have overcome intense life struggles.
The program is free and is suitable for ages teen through adult. For more information, call the church at 816-353-2184.
– Examiner staff