Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Millhouse Baseball will host a youth clinic and tryout with guest instructor Mike Sweeney, a former Kansas City Royals slugger, 3-5:30 p.m. July 27 at Platte Purchase Park (2800 N.W. 100th St.) in Kansas City. Participants will receive an autographed photo of Sweeney. Open tryouts are for 9U-18U competitive teams for fall 2014 and summer 2015 seasons. Cost is $45 if paid in advance or $50 at the door. For more information, contact Chris Mihlfeld at 816-572-8172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tryouts: Bruins Elite 5th grade boys basketball competitive team (grade for ‘14-15 school year) is conducting tryouts by appointment. If interested, please call 816-914-2778 to arrange a tryout. Team plays in a local league and tournaments both locally and regionally.
• eXcel Border Basketball Tournament, Aug. 16-17 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Aug. 12. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• Labor Day Classic Basketball Tournament, Aug. 31-Sept. 1 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Aug. 26. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• eXcel September Shootout, Sept. 13-14 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Sept. 9. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• 12th Annual Eagle Golf Fundraiser Tournament, to benefit the GVHS Activities Department and the GVR5 Education Foundation, July 17 at Adams Pointe Golf Club. Four-person scramble has 7 a.m. check-in and 8 a.m. shotgun start. Cost is $100 per player or $400 per team. Proceeds benefit the Grain Valley High School activities programs. Sponsorships are also available. For more information or to receive an entry form, contact Jerry Vaughan, Executive Director, Grain Valley Education Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-847-5006 ext. 1015 or 816-210-2849.
• The 2014 Park University Golf Scramble, a four-person tournament that benefits the University’s athletic programs, Tuesday, Oct. 7, at The Deuce at The National Golf Club of Kansas City. The scramble begins with registration at 8:30 a.m., followed by a shotgun start at 10 a.m. Lunch and an awards program immediately follows at approximately 3 p.m. Cost is $125 per golfer or $500 per four-person team, and includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, driving range access prior to the event, on-course games and contests, and refreshments. Sponsorship packages are available, ranging in price from $1,000 to $5,000. To register for the tournament or for more information, visit www.park.edu/golf. For questions about the tournament or sponsorship levels, contact Nathan Marticke, associate vice president of constituent development, at email@example.com or 816-584-6844.
• Royals Charities will host its annual 5K Run/Walk presented by Hy-Vee at Kauffman Stadium on Aug. 2. The event, which begins at 8 a.m. and features a course that takes runners around the Kauffman Stadium warning track, benefits Variety Children’s Charity of Greater Kansas City. The 5K is USATF certified and chip timed. Fans can register online for $35 at www.royals.com/run. Fans may also register during packet pickup hours, set for noon-8 p.m. on Aug. 1 at UltraMax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk in Prairie Village, Kan., or at Rivals Sports Bar at Kauffman Stadium from 6-7 a.m. the morning of the race. Racers are encouraged to register in advance and pick up running packets on Aug. 1 to avoid potential lines and congestion on race day. All participants will receive one View Level Infield voucher, valued at $18, which may be redeemed for a ticket to a remaining Royals home game in 2014 (excluding games against the San Francisco Giants, New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox) as well as the opportunity to purchase additional discounted tickets. All participants will receive a commemorative T-shirt and complimentary food and drinks following the race. Prizes will be awarded to the top male and female finishers in the 5K and to the top three finishers in each age bracket. Visit the website for more information.
• Ultramax Sports Kansas City second annual Go Girl Run, which benefits health-related women’s and children’s charities, Sunday, Sept. 28 at Prairiefire in Overland Park, Kan. The Run’s half-marathon and 5K events will start and finish in the heart of the new, mixed-use development’s entertainment district. The 2014 Kansas City event will feature a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk open to men and women and a half marathon (13.1 miles) run for female participants only. The event is designed for both accomplished and beginner runners and walkers. Participants can register at www.gogirlrun.com, at Ultramax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk Road, Prairie Village, Kan., or by emailing Ultramax Sports at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Blue Springs Soccer Club will hold registration for the fall 2014 season July 12 and July 15 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Walk-in registration for U4 through U15 players will be in meeting rooms between the fields at SportsCity (425 N.E. Mock Ave.) 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 12 and 7:30-9 p.m. July 15. Bring copy of player’s state birth certificate if player did not play with BSSC in last year. Fee is $55 for the fall session if registered in person. Checks payable to BSSC or cash. Mail-in option is available for a $60 fee (note that players in U5, U6 and U7 age groups should select a shirt size). Players returning to KC Metro League teams from the previous year should contact their coach. Coaches will be collecting forms and fees. Some KCML teams will be a $65 fee while others will be a $55 fee per player. For mail-in form or more information, visit bluespringssoccerclub.org.
• The Blue Springs Girls Softball Association is taking registrations for the 2014 Fall Recreation League through July 30. League is open to girls ages 7-12 as of Jan. 1, 2015. Cost is $55 per player. Ages 7-8 are coach pitch; ages 9-10 are 10U First Division; and ages 11-12 are 12U Second Division. All games are one hour limits and played as doubleheaders on Saturdays starting Sept. 6 with eight games over four weeks. Spring 2014 teams may be combined with new players or other teams to make full teams at BSGSA's discretion. All spring 2014 players must return to their spring 2014 teams after the fall season. All new players will be placed in a draft when they return for the spring 2015 season. For more information or a registration form, visit www.bsgsa.net.