Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Millhouse Baseball will conduct an open tryout 3-5 p.m. Aug. 3 at Staley High School for its U7-U18 teams. Cost is $45 per participant. Participants in the Mike Sweeney clinic on July 27 are encouraged to attend the tryout at no charge. For more information, contact Chris Mihlfeld at 816-572-8172 or email@example.com or visit www.millhouseaep.com.
• Tryouts: Bruins Elite 5th grade boys basketball competitive team (grade for ‘14-15 school year) is conducting tryouts by appointment. If interested, please call 816-914-2778 to arrange a tryout. Team plays in a local league and tournaments both locally and regionally.
• eXcel Border Battle Basketball Tournament, Aug. 16-17 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Aug. 12. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Labor Day Classic Basketball Tournament, Aug. 31-Sept. 1 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Aug. 26. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• eXcel September Shootout, Sept. 13-14 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Sept. 9. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Ladies Golf Classic of Kansas City, Sept. 27-28, at Shoal Creek Golf Course. Cost is $220 per player for a two-person team. Tournament will tee off at 8 a.m. each day. Teams will be asked to choose gross or net flights upon submitting application. The tournament will be a shamble for both fields on Saturday, best ball for gross event and scramble for net event on Sunday. The number of players are limited, so please submit entries online (www.shoalcreekgolf.com) by Sept. 1. See the website for more information.
• The 2014 Park University Golf Scramble, a four-person tournament that benefits the University’s athletic programs, Tuesday, Oct. 7, at The Deuce at The National Golf Club of Kansas City. The scramble begins with registration at 8:30 a.m., followed by a shotgun start at 10 a.m. Lunch and an awards program immediately follows at approximately 3 p.m. Cost is $125 per golfer or $500 per four-person team, and includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, driving range access prior to the event, on-course games and contests, and refreshments. Sponsorship packages are available, ranging in price from $1,000 to $5,000. To register for the tournament or for more information, visit www.park.edu/golf. For questions about the tournament or sponsorship levels, contact Nathan Marticke, associate vice president of constituent development, at email@example.com or 816-584-6844.
• Royals Charities will host its annual 5K Run/Walk presented by Hy-Vee at Kauffman Stadium on Aug. 2. The event, which begins at 8 a.m. and features a course that takes runners around the Kauffman Stadium warning track, benefits Variety Children’s Charity of Greater Kansas City. The 5K is USATF certified and chip timed. Fans can register online for $35 at www.royals.com/run. Fans may also register at Rivals Sports Bar at Kauffman Stadium from 6-7 a.m. the morning of the race. All participants will receive one View Level Infield voucher, valued at $18, which may be redeemed for a ticket to a remaining Royals home game in 2014 (excluding games against the San Francisco Giants, New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox) as well as the opportunity to purchase additional discounted tickets. All participants will receive a commemorative T-shirt and complimentary food and drinks following the race. Prizes will be awarded to the top male and female finishers in the 5K and to the top three finishers in each age bracket. Visit the website for more information.
• Ultramax Sports Kansas City second annual Go Girl Run, which benefits health-related women’s and children’s charities, Sunday, Sept. 28 at Prairiefire in Overland Park, Kan. The Run’s half-marathon and 5K events will start and finish in the heart of the new, mixed-use development’s entertainment district. The 2014 Kansas City event will feature a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk open to men and women and a half marathon (13.1 miles) run for female participants only. The event is designed for both accomplished and beginner runners and walkers. Participants can register at www.gogirlrun.com, at Ultramax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk Road, Prairie Village, Kan., or by emailing Ultramax Sports at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Adair Park Fall Doubleheader league now forming. Cost is $495 per team, 4 weeks, 8 games. Games on Tuesday and Wednesday, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m. League starts Sept. 2. Deadline to register is Aug. 16 with $50 deposit. Call 816-836-4782 or send email to email@example.com.
• The Blue Springs Girls Softball Association is taking registrations for the 2014 Fall Recreation League. League is open to girls ages 7-12 as of Jan. 1, 2015. Cost is $55 per player. Ages 7-8 are coach pitch; ages 9-10 are 10U First Division; and ages 11-12 are 12U Second Division. Deadline has passed; visit website for availability. All games are one hour limits and played as doubleheaders on Saturdays starting Sept. 6 with eight games over four weeks. Spring 2014 teams may be combined with new players or other teams to make full teams at BSGSA's discretion. All spring 2014 players must return to their spring 2014 teams after the fall season. All new players will be placed in a draft when they return for the spring 2015 season. For more information or a registration form, visit www.bsgsa.net.