The Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of September. The library is located at 850 N.W. Hunter Drive. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-224-8772.
• Teens at the Library, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 8. Make crafts, watch movies, play games and more.
• Barbecue Basics: The Low and Slow Way, for adults, 7 p.m. Sept. 18. Learn the basic techniques, from start to finish. Members of an award-winning team will give tips for the perfect fire, selecting types of woods, temperature control, meat preparation, rubs and more. Samples provided.
• Walking Photo Safari, for teens, 7 p.m. Sept. 22. Learn how to shoot close-ups, different angles, color differentials and more. Bring your digital camera if you have one.
• Animals and You, for families with children 6 and older, 7 p.m. Sept. 23. See a variety of animal furs up-close including red fox, skunk, and woodchuck. Learn about various Missouri animals as we discuss wildlife and create animal tracks to take home.
• Meet a Seeing Eye Dog, for all ages, 10 a.m. Sept. 27. Find out all about how these helpful canines get selected and trained. Learn how the Seeing Eye Dog program got started and see a demonstration by one of these talented dogs.
• Magic, for all ages, 10 a.m. Sept. 30. Scurry was a young squirrel full of fun and life. As often happens, life takes a turn and Scurry needs help. Help from an unusual source. This is the story of how a young Scurry learns the “magic” of life.
• Teen Anime Movie Night, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 30. Call to find out which movie is showing.
– Jillayne Ritchie