Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Bruins Elite 5th grade boys basketball competitive team (grade for ‘14-15 school year) is conducting tryouts by appointment. If interested, please call 816-914-2778 to arrange a tryout. Team plays in a local league and tournaments both locally and regionally.
• eXcel September Shootout, Sept. 13-14 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. Sept. 9. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Gumpy's Foundation 7th Annual Golf Tournament, Oct. 2 at Drumm Farm Golf Club in Independence. Proceeds benefit Gumpy’s Foundation, which helps families with austistic children through Children's Mercy Hospital. Cost is $400 per team or $100 per person for a four-person scramble. Registration begins at 11 a.m. with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Sponsorships from $100 to a title sponsor for $5,000 are also needed. Prices include greens fees, cart, range balls, tournament gift, contests, banquet dinner, raffle prizes and more. For more information, call TJ at 816-519-6737 or send email to email@example.com.
• Ali Kemp Educational Foundation Golf Classic tournament, Sept. 26 at Adams Pointe Golf Club in Blue Springs. All proceeds from the tournament will benefit T.A.K.E. Foundation's self-defense efforts in memory of Ali Kemp, who was murdered in 2002. Registration for the four-person scramble starts at 9 a.m. with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. There will also be an auction following golf. Registration includes greens fees, cart, contests, prizes, silent auction, lunch and beverages, after-tournament hors d’oeuvres and gift bags. For more information, contact Deb Vaknin at 816-213-6958.
• Dad’s Drivers Golf Tournament, Sept. 27 at Adams Pointe Golf Club in Blue Springs. Proceeds benefit the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Cost is $100 per golfer. Registration and a continental breakfast begin at 7:30 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. followed by lunch and awards at approximately 2 p.m. Sponsorships from $100 to $1,500 are also available. Price includes greens fees, cart, breakfast, event golf shirt, goody bag and lunch. Mulligans and contests also available to purchase. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.golfdigestplanner.com/26503-DadsDrivers/ to register online. Facebook: www.facebook/com/dadsdrivers; Twitter: @dadsdrivers.
• Ladies Golf Classic of Kansas City, Sept. 27-28, at Shoal Creek Golf Course. Cost is $220 per player for a two-person team. Tournament will tee off at 8 a.m. each day. Teams will be asked to choose gross or net flights upon submitting application. The tournament will be a shamble for both fields on Saturday, best ball for gross event and scramble for net event on Sunday. The number of players are limited, so please submit entries online (www.shoalcreekgolf.com) by Sept. 1. See the website for more information.
• The 2014 Park University Golf Scramble, a four-person tournament that benefits the University’s athletic programs, Tuesday, Oct. 7, at The Deuce at The National Golf Club of Kansas City. The scramble begins with registration at 8:30 a.m., followed by a shotgun start at 10 a.m. Lunch and an awards program immediately follows at approximately 3 p.m. Cost is $125 per golfer or $500 per four-person team, and includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, driving range access prior to the event, on-course games and contests, and refreshments. Sponsorship packages are available, ranging in price from $1,000 to $5,000. To register for the tournament or for more information, visit www.park.edu/golf. For questions about the tournament or sponsorship levels, contact Nathan Marticke, associate vice president of constituent development, at email@example.com or 816-584-6844.
• Ultramax Sports Kansas City second annual Go Girl Run, which benefits health-related women’s and children’s charities, Sunday, Sept. 28 at Prairiefire in Overland Park, Kan. The Run’s half-marathon and 5K events will start and finish in the heart of the new, mixed-use development’s entertainment district. The 2014 Kansas City event will feature a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk open to men and women and a half marathon (13.1 miles) run for female participants only. The event is designed for both accomplished and beginner runners and walkers. Participants can register at www.gogirlrun.com, at Ultramax Sports, 6911 Tomahawk Road, Prairie Village, Kan., or by emailing Ultramax Sports at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Summit Soccer Club will hold its Soccer Beginnings Program, Sept. 2 to Oct. 7, at at Franke Fields in Lee’s Summit (3650 Rennau Drive). For boys and girls ages 4-8. Cost is $65 per player. For more information or to register, visit www.summitsoccerclub.org or send email to email@example.com.
• Summit Soccer Club’s Missouri Mule Tournament, Oct. 24-26 at Hidden Valley Soccer Complex in Blue Springs. Boys teams U7-U14 and girls teams U7-U18 are eligible. Costs per team are: U7 and U8 boys and girls, $275 (5 vs. 5); U9 and U10 boys and girls, $395 (6 vs. 6); U10, U11 and U12 boys and girls, $495 (8 vs. 8); U12, U13 and U14, $575 (11 vs. 11); and U15-U18 girls, $575 (11 vs. 11). There are multi-team discounts available. To receive registration information or for more information, contact Tim Maret at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-520-1467 or Dean Spradley at email@example.com or 816-914-6001.
• Chris Bartholomew Memorial Scholarship Softball Tournament, Sept. 20 at Fountain Bluff Complex in Liberty. Cost is $150 per team (plus a $20 ASA fee if not already sanctioned). Men’s competitive, rec and coed divisions with a three-game guarantee (weather permitting). Additional home runs can be purchased for $5. ASA rules but can use ASA, USSSA or NSA bats. Teams must provide their own balls. Sponsorships from $150 to $300 also available and include a vinyl banner and the logo on tournament shirts. For more information or to register, visit www.chrisRbartholomew.com, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-305-6893 or 816-739-9315. Facebook: www.facebook.com/chrissoftballtourney
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Fall Adult Softball Leagues begin week of Sept. 7. Leagues available are: Sunday Men’s D and E; Monday Men’s B Doubleheader; Tuesday Women’s; Wednesday Men’s D Doubleheader and Coed; Thursday Men’s Church; and Friday Coed Doubleheader. Cost is $230 for single-game leagues and $380 per team for doubleheader leagues. Deadline to register has passed; call for availability. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Fall Adult Volleyball Leagues begin week of Sept. 10. Leagues available are Sunday Women’s Rec, Tuesday Women’s Power and Thursday Coed. Cost is $190 per team for Tuesday and Thursday leagues and $275 per team for Sunday based on a 10-match schedule. Deadline to register is Sept. 3. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at City Hall, 903 Main St. Office hours are 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.