It's time to banish that old stereotype that the only guys who can cook are professional chefs. It's not too difficult to elevate a simple meal to the level of a gourmet experience. Here are some tips:
- For a romantic occasion, develop a sophisticated ambiance with music, lighting and decor.
- A tablecloth adds a touch of refinement while protecting furniture and easing post-meal cleanup.
- Add a floral centerpiece to do double duty as a decoration and as a gift for her. Light some candles to enhance the mood.
- Use your good dishes and set them on opposite sides of the table. Place knives and spoons to the right of the plate and forks to the left.
- Whatever meal you decide to serve, there's a sophisticated wine to complement the culinary experience. For ideas, talk to the wine steward at your local grocer or wine shop. Many stores also suggest recipes to pair with their featured wines.