Lake City Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center is offering the following programs. The Center is at 28505 E. Truman Road in Buckner. Registration is required, call 816-249-3194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit www.mdc.mo.gov/lakecity.
• Basic Pistol, for ages 18 and older, 8 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 5. This is a novice class for people who have little or no experience in handling and shooting a handgun. Topics that will be covered include safety in the home, types of handguns, parts of the handgun, variety of calibers, ammunition and marksmanship. Class includes range time.
• Teens & Firearms – Archery, for ages 11 to 17, 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 10. This course is designed for teens who would like to explore the safe usage of archery. Topics include safety, parts of a bow, marksmanship and much more. Continue to participate in the Teens & Firearms class every month to have fun and improve your skills with guidance and coaching offered by the Lake City staff. This class includes range time.
• Youth Archery, for ages 12 to 18, 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 12. Archery has become a very popular sport, whether for hunting or the target archery MoNASP program in schools. Learn more about the fundamentals of shooting archery such as proper stance, draw techniques, equipment and follow through.
• Women’s Firearm Safety Phase – I, for women ages 18 and older, 8 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 19. Thinking about introducing a firearm into your home? This course is designed specifically for women who are interested in gaining knowledge about firearms. Topics discussed include introducing a firearm into the home, basic marksmanship and laws regarding ownership of firearms.
• Cable Restraint Certification, for all ages, 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 25. If you are a trapper looking for another tool to help you on the trapping line; then you might want to explore cable restraint. The course of instructions includes general history of cable restraint, rules and regulations, length of season and more. This class is a requirement to trap with the cable restraint technique and certification will appear on your resident trapping permit.
– Jillayne Ritchie