The Colbern Road Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of August. The library is located at 1000 N.E. Colbern Road in Lee's Summit. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-525-9924.
• Craft Group, for adults, 1 p.m. Aug. 1 and 15. Creating your own works of art is one of the best ways to express yourself and share good will. Join us to meet new people, create new items, and even learn a thing or two. Quilt, knit, scrapbook, crochet, and more!
• Life is Like a Box of Crayons, for adults, 7 p.m. Aug. 3. Whether you stay in the lines or venture outside them, coloring is credited with lowering stress and anxiety in adults, promoting greater self-esteem and awareness, as well as encouraging creativity and personal expression. No artistic ability is required.
• Puppets and Pjs, for ages 3 and older, 7 p.m. Aug. 3. Put on your pajamas, and come enjoy a new tradition at the library, a bedtime puppet show! Fun for the whole family.
• Getting to Know Our New Catalog, 2 p.m. Aug. 7. Need help using the new online catalog? Learn about all of the new features the Library has added to help you access the books and other materials you need and get the most out of your account!
• Play and Learn Time, for ages 3 and older, 10 a.m. Aug. 11 and 25. Enjoy a special preschool playtime that is designed to stimulate young minds and strengthen early literacy skills. We offer stimulating and fun activities as well as an opportunity to meet other preschoolers and their parents.
• Managing the Photos on Your Smartphone, 2 p.m. Aug. 15. Are your photos taking up too much space on your smartphone? This class will teach you the various methods of storing and organizing your smartphone photos.
• TEDxKC Live Stream, for adults, 6 p.m. Aug. 18. The Library will live-stream the evening of thought-provoking talks and performances from the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. This year’s theme is “Perspective: Where You Stand Matters.” Tickets are $10. Visit TEDxKC.org to see the lineup of speakers and performers and to purchase tickets to this event. The North Independence Branch and Woodneath Library Center will also be live-streaming. Contact the branch for more information regarding a specific watch party location.
• Business Basics: Creating Your Business Story for Small Businesses and Nonprofits, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 22. This high-energy collaborative session is a great opportunity to work out your unique story with a little help from a storytelling professional. Come prepared to take part in a variety of activities designed to help you form a foundational story quickly without overthinking.
• Exploring the Mythology of J.R.R. Tolkien, 2 p.m. Aug. 26. Discover the hierarchy of gods, demigods, and demons in the mythology of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings and explore the construction of the Middle Earth universe with a member of The Tolkien Society of Kansas City.
• Coffee and Conversation with Librarians, 7 p.m. Aug. 31. Join your friendly, neighborhood librarians for coffee and conversation about the future of the Colbern Road Branch.
– Jillayne Ritchie