Powell Gardens celebrates pollinators with the Festival of Butterflies Aug. 4 through 20. Visitors will have the chance to immerse themselves in the magical world of these winged creatures.
• Martha Jane Phillips Starr Butterfly Conservatory: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday. Walk among butterflies and tropical plants in the conservatory.
• Minteer Butterfly & Moth Collection: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. A mounted collection of rare species from around the world.
• Dragonfly Den: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Learn more about this important member of the ecosystem.
• Martha Jane Phillips Starr Native Butterfly Tent: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Explore native butterflies and the plants that sustain them.
• Community Butterfly Mural: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Design a paper butterfly and install it in the community mural.
Additional weekend features Aug. 4-6 and 11-13:
• Missouri Department of Conservation: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Offering displays and activities for all ages.
• Johnson County/K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners Caterpillar Petting Zoo: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Hands-on fun with caterpillars.
• Idalia Society Caterpillar Room: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Learn the ins and outs of caterpillars with the experts.
• Food and drink vendors: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Storytelling With Fancy Nancy: 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Join Fancy Nancy for butterfly yarns and caterpillar tales.
• Children’s activities: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Design wings or a headband to morph into a butterfly or caterpillar or create a butterfly booklet to record your journey through the festival. Paint a pot and take it home ($4 fee applies, ends at 4 p.m.)
• Butterflies On Parade: 11 a.m. Grab your wings and line up for a daily butterfly parade with Fancy Nancy.
Aug. 12: StoneLion Puppet Theater – Roving Puppets, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., with a Bubba & Trixie performance at 2 p.m.
Festival admission is $12 for adults; $10 for ages 60 and older; $5 for ages 5 to 12; children 4 and younger are free. There is a $5 parking charge Aug. 4-6 and 11-13. For information, admission, call 816-697-2600 or visit powellgardens.org.