Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center is offering the following activities for the month of August. The Nature Center is located at 1401 N.W. Park Road in Blue Springs. All activities are free, but registration is required, unless otherwise noted. Call 816-228-3766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.mdc.mo.gov/burroakwoods.
• Snake & Critter Feeding Schedule, for all ages. – Discover what’s for dinner at Burr Oak Woods as the captive amphibians, fish and turtles enjoy their feast at 3 to 3:30 p.m. every Wednesday and Saturday. The snakes will be fed every other week on Friday. Walk-ins welcome.
• Discover Nature Fishing, for families, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 12. We'll teach some fishing basics, provide equipment and worms and then let you practice your new fishing skills. Kids who attend will be entered in a drawing at the end of the summer for a new fishing pole and tackle box. Lessons 1 and 2 of the Discover Nature Fishing program are included in this class.
• Caterpillar Hunt, for all ages, 10 to 11:30 a.m. or 1 to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 12. Break out your magnifying glasses for some fun citizen science and help us survey the butterfly population of Burr Oak Woods! We will be tracking the number and variety of species at our site by looking for all stages of their life cycle (taking special note of the monarchs). Create a life cycle craft while supplies last. No registration required.
• Herbal Folklore and Natural Remedies, for adults, 9 to 11 a.m. Aug. 19. Do you despair because you cannot seem to win the war against those pesky weeds that grow during the heat of summer? A wise philosopher once stated, “If you can’t beat them, join them!” Discover the usefulness and tastiness of purslane and other summer plants.
• Cattails for Survival, for all ages, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 26. Every part of the cattail plant can be used in a survival situation. You can eat it, burn it and make things from it. Come prepared to hike to our cattail pond for part of the program as we learn all the uses for a cattail. No registration required.
• Rockin’ & Readin’ Nature Tales, for ages 2 and older, 11 a.m. to noon Aug. 26. Join us for story hour as we lead you on fantastic nature adventures! Our imaginations are the only limits. Walk-ins welcome.
– Jillayne Ritchie