The Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of September. The library is located at 850 N.W. Hunter Drive. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-224-8772.
• Flu Shots, 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Walgreens offers opportunities for uninsured and insured residents above the age of 18 to arm their immune system this fall with a flu shot. Walgreens will file insurance claims for Cigna, United Health Care, Aetna, Blue Cross, Medicare, and Medicaid. Contact Walgreens for the uninsured price.
• Rainforest Reflections, for ages 2 and older, 10 a.m. Sept. 9. Enter the Mekong Delta with StoneLion Puppet Theatre, USA, to meet the rare and endangered creatures who live in the rainforest, and learn what you can do to protect this unique ecosystem.
• Teens Create: Paracord Bracelet, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 12. Unleash your imagination.
• Author Robert Thornhill, for adults, 7 p.m. Sept. 14. Join Kansas City award-winning author Robert Thornhill as he talks about his work as a writer and his Lady Justice series. The series features the bumpy and often hilarious adventures of protagonist Walt Williams, a retired real estate agent who embarks on a second career solving crime in Kansas City. Thornhill began his writing career at age 66 after being inspired by Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series.
• Managing the Photos on Your Smartphone, for adults, 2 p.m. Sept. 18. Are your photos taking up too much space on your smartphone? This class will teach you the various methods of storing and organizing your smartphone photos.
• KC Zoo Presents: The Amazon, for ages 5 and older, 7 p.m. Sept. 21. Join the Kansas City Zoo for an Amazon adventure. We will share Amazon folklore and culture, as well as show you an animal or two. Come with us to learn something new about the Amazon!
• Furry Kids: How to Select and Care for Your Pet, for ages 6 and older, 10 a.m. Sept. 23. Join Peg and her furry friend, Murphy, as she shares the importance of knowing how to select a pet and care for it. Learn what it takes to train a puppy, what type of pet is best for you, what it takes to be a good pet owner, and why it’s a great idea to adopt and not shop.
• Teen Anime, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 26. Join fellow fanatics for fun!
• Wire People Sculptures, for adults, 7 p.m. Sept. 28.Use wire and other embellishments to create a unique self-portrait that captures your personality.
– Jillayne Ritchie