The Colbern Road Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of October. The library is located at 1000 N.E. Colbern Road in Lee's Summit. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-525-9924.
• The History of Chocolate, for adults, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 3. Chocolate has captivated the world for more than four centuries. Explore the sweet history of chocolate, its cultural significance, its evolution, and its current economic influence with chef Kolika Kirk. Then stay for a special chocolate tasting session.
• Craft Group, for adults, 1 p.m. Oct. 3 and 17. Creating your own works of art is one of the best ways to express yourself and share good will. Join us to meet new people, create new items, and even learn a thing or two. Quilt, knit, scrapbook, crochet, and more!
• Puppets and Pjs, for ages 3 and older, 7 p.m. Oct. 5. Put on your pajamas, and come enjoy a new tradition at the library – a bedtime puppet show! Fun for the whole family.
• Life is Like a Box of Crayons, for adults, 7 p.m. Oct. 5. Whether you stay in the lines or venture outside them, coloring is credited with lowering stress and anxiety in adults, promoting greater self-esteem and awareness, as well as encouraging creativity and personal expression. No artistic ability is required.
• Exotics R Us, for all ages, 10 a.m. Oct. 7. Exotics R Us brings the zoo to the Library with its collection of unique animals including tortoises, foxes, monkeys, porcupines, and felines.
• Play and Learn Time, for ages 3 and older, 10 a.m. Oct. 13 and 27. Enjoy a special preschool playtime that is designed to stimulate young minds and strengthen early literacy skills. We offer stimulating and fun activities as well as an opportunity to meet other preschoolers and their parents.
• Medicare Explained in Plain English, 6:30 p.m. Oct. 17. Get a straightforward and easy-to-understand explanation of Medicare and the benefits you may be entitled to receive. Designed for Medicare newbies, this program is especially helpful for those turning 65.
• All Hands on Math, for ages 8 and older, 2 p.m. Oct. 18. This hands-on workshop about number sequences uses stacking cups, an activity increasingly used in physical education classes. Students learn about the benefits of ambidexterity while exploring square and triangular numbers. Leslie and Jay Cady encourage small group cooperation, different learning styles, and strategies.
• Medicare Part D Enrollment Event, 3 p.m. Oct. 31. Sign up for a one-on-one appointment, and have a trained CLAIM counselor help you answer questions about your Part D or Advantage plan. CLAIM is Missouri’s State Health Assistance Insurance Program, offering free, confidential, and unbiased Medicare counseling and education to Missouri’s Medicare beneficiaries. Call 800-390-3330 to reserve your spot.
– Jillayne Ritchie