The City of Independence Environmental Health Division conducts inspections anywhere food is handled, prepared and served to the public within city limits. Critical violations must be handled within 72 hours.
• Chick-Fil-A, 18785 E. 39th St. – On Oct. 16, inspectors found a pan of raw chicken at 60 degrees; discarded. The chicken reach-in cooler door does not close. There was a fluid build-up in the thaw reach-in cooler; repeat, corrected. The cooler under the batter prep area was full of food debris; repeat. The casters of the fryers were dirty and the toastmaster drawers were full of debris.
• Ruby Tuesday, 14001 E. U.S. 40 – On Oct. 16, multiple sink drain plugs were found in the hand sink behind bar area.
• Taco Bell, 16903 E. U.S. 24 – On Oct. 16, pico de gallo in the walk-in cooler had a use by date of 10/15/2017 at 9 a.m.; discarded.
• Hy-Vee, 4545 S. Noland Road – On Oct. 17, the hand sink in the catering kitchen was cluttered and the floor drain was stored in it.
• On The Border, 19921 E. Jackson Drive – On Oct. 17, a wiping cloth and extension cord were found on the edge of the hand sink on the prep line.
– Jillayne Ritchie