Trails West Branch of the Kansas City Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of December. The Library is located at 11401 E 23rd St. S., Independence. All programs are free. For more information, call 816-701-3483.
• Walk On II: 1-1:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This class is an extension of Walk On I, in which participants will follow Leslie Sansone DVDs to walk 2miles. Come walk with us in the comfort of our large meeting room. Free and open to the public. No Equipment is necessary. No registration is required.
• Walk On I: 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday and Thursdays. Come walk a mile in the comfort of an indoor meeting space. Participants will follow Leslie Sansone DVDs to start their weight loss journey with a gentle paced 1 mile beginner walk program. Participants will increase their heart rate with low impact moves. Free and open to the public. No equipment necessary. No registration required.
• Storytime: 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays. Bring your little ones for a storytime with music and great books, followed by a fun activity for all to enjoy.
• Tabletop Gaming for Teens: 4 p.m. Thursdays. Explore the world of Tabletop Gaming, it's not just Monopoly anymore. The games are bigger, better and weirder. From cooperative to competitive, we have a large selection of games that we'll rotate through, so that every time you visit you'll likely play something new.
• Coffee and Coloring Parties: 10 a.m.-noon Dec. 1. All adults and senior adults are welcome to join us for coffee and coloring on the first Friday of the month. Coffee and coloring supplies will be provided or bring your own. Drop in as long as you like. No registration is required.
• Medicare Made Easy: 1-2 p.m. Dec. 1. Stop by to learn everything you need to know about Medicare in plain English. Specialists will be available on the first Friday of every month. No registration is required.
• Playing with Dash & Dot: For families, 5-7 p.m. Dec. 5. Stop by and meet coding robots Dash & Dot.
• Kpop and Animation Support Group: 3-4:30 p.m. Dec. 9. If you're a super fan in either of these areas, you'll likely find the support you've been looking for to share your extensive knowledge on trivia and conspiracy theories or new songs and comebacks. We represent fans from both groups with some crossover. This program is led and developed by teen Kpop and Anime fans.
• Holiday Crafts & Cookies: For families, 5-7 p.m. Dec. 12. Decorate your own sugar cookie (1 cookie per person.)
• Teen Advisory Group: 5-6:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Gain volunteer hours and discover leadership opportunities by joining the teen advisory. As a participant, you'll plan teen events, guide the library in providing better services and give back to your community. Have your voice be heard and discover the many ways you can participate to gain the volunteer hours you might need to graduate.
– Jillayne Ritchie