A house fire early Friday displaced a Blue Springs family at least temporarily and killed three of the family's four dogs.

The fire started before 6 a.m. Friday at a house in the area of Northeast Third Street and Duncan Road, near the Blue Springs Country Club. Five adults and a baby escaped after a passer-by noticed the fire and knocked on the family's door, a spokesperson for the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District said. The homeowner had already left for work in the morning, and one other adult awake at the time in the basement did not realize the house was on fire at first.

All persons were out of the house by the time firefighters arrived. The three dogs died from smoke inhalation.

Fire personnel believe the blaze started on the back deck then spread up the back of the house. The fire reached the attic and the kitchen and dining area and caused lots of smoke damage. While the house does not have to be a total loss, it will require extensive rebuilding and remodeling, the spokesperson said.