Saturday marks the semi-annual National Drug Take Back Day, and area law enforcement agencies will be at numerous drop-off sites from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help people safely dispose of unused, expired or unwanted drugs – prescription and over-the-counter. Participation is free and anonymous.
Medications, including those for pets, patches, ointments, cough syrups and vitamins all will be accepted for disposal, and medications can be left in the original bottles. Needles/syringes, inhalers and thermometers will not be accepted.
Saturday’s Take Back Day will be the 14th official event under the Drug Enforcement Administration. According to the DEA, more than 4,200 law enforcement agencies took part in the April event, with nearly 5,500 collection sites across the nation accumulating more than 900,000 pounds (450 tons) of drugs that were incinerated.
In the 13 previous events, the DEA and local agencies have taken in more than 8.1 million pounds of drugs – more than 4,050 tons.
There will be drug drop-off sites at the following locations:
• City Hall parking lot, 111 E. Maple St.
• Children’s Mercy East, 20300 E. Valley View Parkway
• Police Department, 1100 SW Smith St.
• Price Chopper, 1101 SW Missouri 7
• Price Chopper, 1305 N Missouri 7
• Police Department, 1001 Heroes Way
• City Hall parking lot, 711 Main St. Grain Valley residents and city employees also can bring in up to three boxes or bags of paper documents to be shredded. This service is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and participants for this must show proof or residency or employment.
• Police Department, 10 NE Tudor Road
• Jackson County Sheriff’s Department, 4001 NE Lakewood Court
• St. Luke’s East Hospital (Diagnostic Center), 100 NE Saint Luke’s Blvd.
• Lee’s Summit Medical Center (ER entrance), 2100 SE Blue Parkway
• John Knox Village (Places restaurant), 1001 NW Chipman Road
• Police Department, 1903 S. Broadway
• CVS, 4750 Lee’s Summit Road (corner of U.S. 40 and Lee’s Summit Road)
• Children’s Mercy Hospital, 2401 Gillham Road
• Research Medical Center, Brookside Campus, 6601 Rockhill Road
• Main Corps parking lot, 3215 Main St.
• North Patrol Station, 11000 NW Prairie View Road
• Shoal Creek Station, 6801 Pleasant Valley Road
• South Patrol Division, 9701 Marion Park Dr.
• Price Chopper, 8430 Wornall Road