Three simultaneous bridge replacements over Interstate 70 in Independence and a new diverging diamond interchange in Oak Grove are among the Missouri Department of Transportation projects that area motorists should be on the lookout for in 2018.
The department has more than 60 projects either scheduled to open or be under construction this year, ranging from high-impact bridge and interchange repairs to almost 500 miles of resurfacing. According a release, the MoDOT is making more than $200 million in infrastructure investment in the region.
Below is a summary of some projects:
• In Independence, the Crysler Avenue, Pittman Road and Phelps Road bridges that span over I-70 will be replaced all at once starting in May. The three bridges, none of which had have access to I-70, will be demolished over the course of one weekend. There will be various lane closures along I-70 during peak travel times throughout the course of the construction season.
MoDOT says it anticipates this project to be completed in December. Nearby detours across I-70 include Lee's Summit Road, Noland Road and the Sterling Road/U.S. 40/Blue Ridge Boulevard area.
• Repairing the Route F bridge over I-70 in Oak Grove and changing the interchange into a diverging diamond, similar to the Woods Chapel Road interchange in Blue Springs. This project is expected to begin in April and be done in the fall.
MoDOT says the existing diamond interchange in Oak Grove, which provides access to a couple popular truck stops, has been the site of the 102 crashes over the past five years, and changing to a diverging diamond will help the left-turn capacity there. The ramps onto I-70 will be lengthened, as well.
• Continued bridge repairs and replacements along the I-470 corridor through Lee's Summit. This includes the eastbound lanes of the bridges over James Reed Road, the Little Blue River, View High Drive and Cedar Creek (the westbound lanes were done last fall, with traffic sharing the eastbound lanes); Lakewood Boulevard and Bowlin Road in northern Lee's Summit; and I-70, U.S. 40 and the Little Blue River in Independence.
• Continued work on the U.S. 50 and Missouri 291 interchange project in Lee's Summit and the Interstate 435 and Missouri 210 interchange just north of the Missouri River.
• The Buck O'Neil Bridge, which carries U.S. 169 over the Missouri River, will undergo short-term repairs that will lead to all southbound lanes being closed. Repairs to the 60-year-old bridge will begin in the late spring or early summer and be finished before the end of 2018 – about five to six months. MoDOT and the city of Kansas City are splitting the $7 cost.
• Also of note, the I-70 bridges over U.S. 65 near Marshall will be repaired, leading to some single-lane closures, and Interstate 435 between the Grandview Triangle and the Kansas border will have bridge and pavement upgrades.
For a complete list of projects, visit www.modot.org/kansascity and click on “Work by County.”