Many area police departments will host the bi-annual DEA National Prescription Drug Take Back event 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
The events are designed to provide a convenient and responsible way to dispose of unwanted, unused and expired prescription drugs, as well as educate the public about the potential for medication abuse. All drop-offs are anonymous, and materials recovered are sealed and then transported to an incinerator.
Pill bottle labels do not have to be removed. Needles/syringes and inhalers cannot be accepted.
In the October 2017 take back events nationwide, the DEA reported that 4,274 law enforcement agencies took part and had hosted 5,321 collection sites, with 456 tons of drugs collected.
• North City Hall parking lot, across the street from police headquarters, 111 E. Maple Ave.
• Blue Springs Police Department, 1100 S.W. Smith St.
• Cosentino's Price Chopper, 1101 S.W. Missouri 7
• Cosentino's Price Chopper, 1305 N. Missouri 7
• City Hall parking lot, 711 Main St. Call 816-847-6250 for more information
• Buckner Elementary, 13 S. Sibley
• Oak Grove Police Department, 1903 S. Broadway
• Jackson County Sheriff's Office, 4001 N.E. Lakewood Court
• Lee's Summit PD, 10 N.E. Tudor Road
• John Knox Village, Places Restaurant, 1001 N.W. Chipman Road
• Lee's Summit Medical Center (ER entrance), 2100 S.E. Blue Parkway (drive-thru)
• Saint Luke's East (Diagnostic Center), 100 N.E. Saint Luke's Boulevard