The City of Independence Environmental Health Division conducts inspections anywhere food is handled, prepared and served to the public within city limits. Critical violations must be handled within 72 hours.
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 9, the premise was not being maintained free of insects rodents and other pest. Extensive amounts of droppings were found and there was a large amount of sticky traps everywhere with bugs on them. The establishment was very dirty, the back screen door was broken even after the last inspection clearly stated that it needed to be replaced, repaired or removed. The Orkin pest control operator stated the establishment has extensive issues and that a trapping protocol was to be put in place.
• Dave's Bakery & Deli, 214 W Maple Ave. – On May 10, the ice cream scoop was found in the sink and was not functioning properly.
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 10, the chocolate fountain must be emptied and cleaned and all chocolate disposed of. The vent hood was not being kept clean, and all dishes must be washed and the buffet area must be wiped down and sanitized. Pest activity still remains.
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 11, pests were sighted alive and about during re-check; establishment will remained closed until pest free.
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 14, a mouse and cockroaches were spotted.
– Jillayne Ritchie