The City of Independence Environmental Health Division conducts inspections anywhere food is handled, prepared and served to the public within city limits. Critical violations must be handled within 72 hours.
• La Bonita Market, 13605 E. 35th St. – On May 10, inspectors found tuna salad on the counter at 74.4 degrees. Several items were found out of temperature in the cooler and were discarded. The door cooler was 50 degrees and cannot be used until repaired and authorized by the Food & Institution Division. The make table in the kitchen had heavy condensation in the bottom
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 15, the area around the separator must be cleaned; trash cans must be cleaned or replaced; both walk-ins were dirty; racks were dirty; floors were still dirty; and grease build-up was still found around grills. Two mice were seen upon re-check; droppings were still present; there were holes along the foundation of building on the outside and holes on the inside providing pest access.
• QuikTrip, 16501 E. U.S. 40 – On May 15, food equipment was not being sanitized after washing, and there was no sanitized water available in the food prep area.
• East Buffet, 11825 E. U.S. 40 – On May 16, extensive cleaning is needed in the vent hoods and in the entire establishment; professional company is now required and will be enforced. Mice were found again on re-check; owner will be ticketed if he continues to move and dispose of traps impeding investigation.
• Mr Goodcents, 3801 S. Noland Road – On May 17, food contact shall be with clean equipment and utensils.
– Jillayne Ritchie