The Jackson County Public Works/Environmental Health Division conducts inspections anywhere food is handled, prepared and served to the public for cities other than Independence.
• Autumn Terrace Health and Rehabilitation, 6124 Raytown Road – On April 25, at time of inspection, the only hand sink in the kitchen was out of order and the 3-compartment sink was being used to wash hands; maintenance fixed the hand sink while the inspector was present.
• 87th Street Market, 9709 E. 87th St. – On April 26, a build-up was observed on soda nozzles.
• QuikTrip, 8733 E. 63rd St. – On April 26, a chemical bottle was stored in a bin with creamer bottles; corrected.
• Family Dollar Store, 5242 Blue Ridge Blvd. – On April 27, various chemicals were stored above food items and single service items on clearance shelves; corrected.
• McDonald's, 5260 Blue Ridge Blvd. – On April 27, an employee was observed handling raw meat/meat packaging and switching jobs without washing hands; corrected through discussion. Loose raw meat was being stored in a cooler with bread and cookies (touching the packaging); corrected.
• Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 9330 E. M-350 – On April 30, there was a build-up on soda and water nozzles in the kitchen, and cleaned dishes on clean dish rack had food on them; both were corrected. Food items held in the ready-make table along the cook line were above 41 degrees; all potentially hazardous food items had been prepared or moved from the walk-in cooler within the previous 2 hours, so food items were moved to the walk-in cooler, re-inspection required.
• Dollar General Store, 9047 E. M-350 – On May 1, chemicals were stored with/above food items on clearance shelves; corrected.
• Hy-Vee Kitchen/Italian/ Chinese/Salad Bar/Deli, 9400 E. M-350 – On May 7, potentially hazardous food in the walk-in coolers and deli meat case were undated; corrected; corrected. Shell eggs were stored on a pan of soup; corrected.
• Valero, 6509 Raytown Road – On May 11, hot dogs on the hot dog rollers were at 111 degrees; discarded and the machine was turned up to a higher temperature.
• Cosentino's Apple Market, 11501 E. 63rd St. – On May 11, deli meats in the deli cooler were past the use by date; discarded.
• Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake Pizza, 9027 E. M-350 – On May 12, an employee was observed eating at a prep table and personal drinks were being stored on a prep table without a lid or straw; corrected.
– Jillayne Ritchie