The Colbern Road Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of July. The library is located at 1000 N.E. Colbern Road in Lee's Summit. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-525-9924.
• TED Talks Discussion Group: For adults, 6:30 p.m. July 3. Join the Colbern Road Branch each month to watch TED Talks on a variety of topics. After watching the videos, there will be an opportunity to discuss ideas that come from the talks.
• Library After Hours – Glow Golf: For all ages, 7 p.m. July 6. Bring the family for some after-hours indoor mini golf! Putt your way through the stacks with black lights, glowing golf balls, and more.
• Facebook Advertising for Small Businesses and Organizations: For adults, 6:30 p.m. July 10. Learn to put Facebook to work advertising your business. Join Mid-Continent Public Library’s business specialists for an in-depth, 90-minute workshop where you can create a business Facebook page, identify the correct format for images, learn the best times to post, and write engaging posts.
• Baby Bounce Party: For ages 1 and older, 10 a.m. July 11. It’s an early literacy dance party just for babies! Families of children from birth to two years can join in as we sing, bounce, play, and get our groove going with rhythms and rhymes that will strengthen baby muscles, body control, and early speech!
• Dance Party: For ages 2 and older, 11 a.m. July 11. It’s time for an Early Literacy Dance Party! Families of children ages two to six years can sing, dance, play, and try out a variety of musical instruments to develop their motor skills, express themselves, and just have a great time together.
• Amado & Karen’s Junkyard Orchestra: For ages 5 and older, 2 p.m. July 12. Musical instruments can be found everywhere if you use a little imagination. Join Amado and Karen to explore how to make instruments out of everyday things and build a band to make amazing music.
• Now Playing for Kids: For ages 6 and older, 6:30 p.m. July 12, or 2 p.m. July 19 and 26. Escape to the Library for an adventure on the Big Screen. (Ages 6 and up) Registration is required.
• Wings of Love Presents Awesome Birds: For ages, 10 a.m. July 18. Meet some of the world’s most awesome birds from rare parrots and a toucan to the world’s largest type of owl. Be prepared to be amazed when these feathered entertainers take the stage to talk, perform tricks, and sing songs.
• Rappin’ About Reptiles: For ages 7 and older, 11 a.m. July 21. It’s time to separate fact from fiction when it comes to turtles, snakes, and lizards. Join a Missouri Master Naturalist to learn what reptile is one of the oldest creatures on earth, whether a lizard can spit blood from its eyes, and what exactly a mountain boomer is.
• Kid Fest: For ages 6 and older, 10 a.m. July 25, or 2 p.m. July 29. Party with us, there’s always room for more!
– Jillayne Ritchie