The Grain Valley Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of July. The library is located at 101 S.W. Eagles Pkwy. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-228-4020.
• Book Group: For adults, 6:30 p.m. July 2. Read any good books lately? Come meet like-minded people, enjoy lively discussion, learn which books inspire others, and talk about your favorite books.
• Storytime for Families: For families of all ages, 10 a.m. Wednesdays, July 11, 18 and 25, and on Thursday. Come share the early literacy experience with the whole family. Hear stories, sing songs, join in movement activities, and more. Bring the whole family, and make some great family memories at the Library.
• Amado’s World Music Odyssey: For teens, 10:30 a.m. July 11. Let’s go on an adventure from the Arabian Desert down to the Filipino Sea and up to the high plains of Bolivia with Amado’s World Music Odyssey! Learn about musical instruments from around the world including the charango, kulintang, and didgeridoo.
• Under the Big Oak Tree Presents – Local Honey: For adults, 2 p.m. July 14. Under the Big Oak Tree combines vintage folk, acoustic country, and traditional bluegrass to create a wholesome, wistful, and welcoming blend of original music. Enjoy memorable songs and stories from the group’s latest project, Local Honey.
• Papermaking: For teens, 2 p.m. July 19. You may not have written a book, but you can make the paper for it. Explore the history of papermaking and then make a sheet of paper for yourself. Be prepared to get your hands wet and a bit goopy as we create the first page for your own handmade book.
• Meet a Guide Dog: For ages 6 and older, 11 a.m. July 21. Learn the history of guide dogs and how these puppies are selected and trained. You’ll then get to see a demonstration by one of these unique and talented dogs.
• Stories of Note: For all ages, 10:30 a.m. July 25. Join Jay and Leslie as they demonstrate how libraries make our lives better every day. Be amazed as they juggle fake rocks, solve a mystery by taking a musical turn, and add more laughs to everyone’s day.
• Waves of Danger Murder Mystery: 2 p.m. July 28. Sign up for a relaxing Caribbean cruise with a killer itinerary, literally. Join cruise director Jules McCoy and head of security Shaun Hardy for a voyage on the S.S. Carnage to help solve a murder mystery on the high seas. Are you a detective, an accomplice, or a murderer?
– Jillayne Ritchie