Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center is offering the following activities for the month of July. The Nature Center is located at 1401 N.W. Park Road in Blue Springs. All activities are free, but registration is required online at www.mdc.mo.gov/burroakwoods, unless otherwise noted. For information, call 816-228-3766 or email email@example.com.
• Critter Feeding Schedule: For all ages – Discover what’s for dinner at Burr Oak Woods as the captive amphibians, fish and turtles are fed from 3 to 3:30 p.m. every Wednesday and Saturday. The snakes will be fed July 6 and 20. Walk-ins welcome.
• Slithering Snakes: For all ages, 1-2 p.m. July 7. Slither in and discover the wonderful world of Missouri’s snakes. These legless, scaly reptiles are often misunderstood, but are beneficial to the environment and us. Join us as we untangle snake myths, learn who lives around us, and meet some live snakes up close. No registration required.
• Family Fishing: 9:30-11:30 a.m. July 14. This is a great time of year to take your family fishing. We will teach some fishing basics, provide equipment and worms and then let you practice your new fishing skills. Kids who attend will be entered in a drawing at the end of the summer for a new fishing pole and tackle box.
• Family Creek Exploration: 10:30 a.m.-noon July 14. Trek into an amazing creek ecosystem to discover what lives in or depends on Burr Oak Creek. Splish and splash in the mud, water and rocks in search of tadpoles, fish, insects and more.
• Wild Edible Series – Summer Bounty: For adults, 9-11 a.m. July 17. Jelly, pickle and preserve your way through nature’s summer bounty. You have identified and collected the plants. Now what? How do you process plants from field to plate? Join us as we demonstrate methods to preserve your harvest.
• National Moth Week Kick-off: For all ages, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. July 21. Celebrate with us the beauty, life cycle and habitats of moths for National Moth Week. This event will include a kid’s craft, Missouri moth collection display and a moth program at 1 p.m. We will have something for “Moth-ers” of all ages. Walk-ins welcome.
• Bobcats at Burr Oak Woods: For all ages, 10-11 a.m. July 28. Join us to learn about one of the most mysterious critters and top tier predators at Burr Oak Woods, the bobcat. From its ultrasonic ears to its incredible vision, these cats are perfectly equipped for the hunt.
• Rockin’ & Readin’ Nature Tales: For ages 2 and older, 11 a.m.-noon July 28. Join us for story hour as we lead you on fantastic nature adventures! We will meet birds, mammals and all sorts of magnificent creatures! We will cross rivers, discover mysteries within the forest and fly across the prairies. Our imaginations are the only limits. Walk-ins welcome.
– Jillayne Ritchie