Note: Due to renovations, the Blue Springs South Branch is temporarily closed. The July programs scheduled at this branch have been moved to alternate locations during this time. All activities are free, but registration is required, visit Mymcpl.org/events.
• Around Since the Dinosaurs: For ages 8 and older, 2:30 p.m. July 5, Vesper Hall, 400 N.W. Vesper St., Blue Springs. They might not be exactly the same as their ancestors, but some of the animal species we know today definitely shared the world with dinosaurs. Discover how bats, fish, opossums, turtles, crayfish, and others all co-existed with the T-Rex and Hadrosaurids.
• The Kansas City Spirit – Stories of Service Above Self: For adults, 2 p.m. July 13, Vesper Hall, 400 N.W. Vesper St., Blue Springs. Many people and moments have shaped the spirit of Kansas City. Join author Bruce Mathews for the stories and contributions of the people whose lives exemplified that spirit.
• The Spoon Man: For all ages, 6:30 p.m. July 16, Legacy Park Amphitheater, 897 N.E. Bluestem Drive, Lee's Summit. Watch the Spoon Man play percussion with two ordinary spoons. Join in on his sing-along for a spoonful of good music and good fun!
• Save Money by Shopping Thrift Stores and Garage Sales: For adults, 6:30 p.m. July 17, Vesper Hall, 400 N.W. Vesper St., Blue Springs. Join Lisa Holiman with Breath of Fresh Flair, as she offers shopping tips for getting great “new to you” items for your home or yourself. Shopping thrift stores, consignment shops, and other such places is a fabulous way to reuse and repurpose items.
• Brandy Donielle’s Balloon Twisting Fun: For all ages, 2:30 p.m. July 19, Vesper Hall, 400 NW Vesper St., Blue Springs. Be amazed by the twisting talents of balloon artist Brandy Donielle and receive your very own work of balloon art.
– Jillayne Ritchie