The Raytown Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of July. The library is located at 6131 Raytown Road. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-353-2052.
• Exotics R Us: For all ages, 2 p.m. July 10. Exotics R Us brings the zoo to the Library with its collection of unique animals including tortoises, foxes, monkeys, porcupines, and felines.
• Resume Help with Work Express: For adults, 10 a.m. July 11. A Work Express professional will be at the Library to help you write or update your resume on the first Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. Please pick up a Resume Creation worksheet at the Library prior to the program.
• Coding Rocks!: Designed for kids grades 2 to 5, 2 p.m. July 11, 18 and 25. Join the scientists from Mad Science for a three-week workshop that teaches code-building basics through fun, game-like activities.
• Dino O’Dell’s Music Around Us: For all ages, 2 p.m. July 12. Whether it’s the beating of our hearts, birds singing in the trees, or the clickety-clack of a train rolling down the track, sounds tell a story. Join Dino O’Dell for an interactive musical adventure, and learn about the four categories of instruments: percussion, wind, string, and electronic.
• Everyone Can Juggle!: For ages 7 and older, 2 p.m. July 17. Learn the ancient art of juggling from the experienced instructors at the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival. Build hand-eye coordination, discipline, and concentration skills all while having fun!
• Teen Yoga: 6:30 p.m. July 19. Stretch, twist, and breathe your way to a strong body and mind as you learn the basic yoga poses. No experience necessary, just a willingness to laugh and try something new. Wear comfortable clothes and bring a towel or mat.
• Kids Create: For ages 6 and older, 2 p.m. July 24. Spark your imagination and express yourself through art and craft activities.
• The Musical Magic Show: For ages 5 and older, 6:30 p.m. July 26. It’s time for magic, comedy, and loads of audience participation with magician Marty Hahne. Help solve the mystery of the tiny drum, be part of the “Human Xylophone,” and meet a live rabbit! There’s plenty of magic and music to go around.
• Wings of Love Presents Awesome Birds: For all ages, 2 p.m. July 31. Meet some of the world’s most awesome birds from rare parrots and a toucan to the world’s largest type of owl. Be prepared to be amazed when these feathered entertainers take the stage to talk, perform tricks, and sing songs.
– Jillayne Ritchie