The deadline to register to vote in the upcoming Aug. 7 primary election is Wednesday, July 11.
Several issues are on the ballot, including a Blue Springs School District bond issue and property tax change; party primaries in races for Congress, the Missouri General Assembly and Jackson County government; and a statewide question about adopting “right to work” status.
To register to vote in Missouri, one must be a U.S. citizen, resident of the state and must be at least age 18 by Election Day. One cannot register to vote if incarcerated, on parole, or on probation, or if convicted of a voting-related felony.
There are dozens of places in Eastern Jackson County to register to vote, including the Jackson County Board of Election Commissioners at 215 N. Liberty St. on the Square in Independence. Also, voters can register during regular business hours at:
• All local branches of the Mid-Continent Public Library system.
• Both local branches of the Kansas City Public Library – Trails West at 11401 E. 23rd St. in Independence and the Sugar Creek branch at 102 S. Sterling Ave.
• Most local city halls – Blue Springs, Buckner, Grain Valley, Lake Lotawana, Lake Tapawingo, Lee’s Summit, Levasy, Oak Grove and Raytown.
• License bureaus at 2402 N.W. Missouri 7 in Blue Springs, 16643 E. 23rd St. in Independence, 316 S.W. Blue Parkway in Lee’s Summit, and 521 S. Sterling Ave. in Sugar Creek.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation, 425 Mock Ave.
• Blue Springs utilities, 1304 W. Main St.
• The Jackson County Health Department, 313 S. Liberty St., Independence.
• The Family Services office at 201 Partridge in Independence.
• The Missouri Division of Employment Security, 15301 E. 23rd St., Independence.
Residents also can register to by mail or at a local Department of Revenue license office. To find the registration form or to find your polling place, visit the secretary of state website, www.sos.mo.gov. Or go to the Jackson County Election Board website at www.jcebmo.org/ to download the Missouri voter registration application, which can be filled out and dropped off at the Election Board office.