1. Independence Uncorked Wine Festival – 1 to 6 p.m. Saturday on the grounds of Bingham-Waggoner Estate, 313 W. Pacific Ave., Independence. The festival, expected to draw more than 2,500 attendees, features 25 Missouri wineries. The day will also feature art, music, beer, food booths and wine classes. It's sponsored by the Rotary Club of Eastern Independence, and proceeds will go toward national and local charities supported by Rotary. The cost is $30 in advance; $40 at the door, and includes a wine glass and a four-bottle wine bag (for the first 2,000 people). Be sure to bring your lawn chairs. No outside food or drink allowed. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit IndependenceUncorked.com.
2. Hummingbird Festival – 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the George Owens Nature Park, 1601 S. Speck Road, Independence. There will be hummingbird banding by licensed bander Veronica Mecko, migration games with Paige Witek, the Missouri River Bird Observatory, native hummingbird plants, kids' crafts and migration maps. Drawn here by more than 50 feeders and native wildflowers, dozens of ruby-throated hummingbirds stop by every day during fall migration. Visit any time. The feeders will be up throughout migration, from now into October.
3. Used book sale – The Children’s Performing Theatre, which is part of Powerhouse Theatre in Independence, is holding its used book sale fundraiser from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, at the Truman Memorial Building, 416 W. Maple Ave., Independence (enter on Pleasant St.) The cost is $1 for hardbacks and 50 cents for paperbacks. Bags will be available onsite to fill for one low price. Sponsored by the Powerhouse Theatre Foundation in cooperation with the Jackson County Genealogy Society.
4. Second Annual Ed Baucom Memorial Warbird Fly-In – The fly-in, presented by the Kansas City Radio Control Association, will be held on Saturday, at the C.W. Reed III R/C Flying Field in Fleming Park, 3581-3899 Rennau Drive, Lee's Summit. A warbird plane will be raffled off for $1 per ticket or 6 for $5. A lunch of hot dogs and Polish sausages will be served at noon for $5 and includes chips and a drink. Learn more at kcradiocontrol.com.
5. "Circus, Circus" – This puppet show, performed by puppeteer Kraig Kensinger, will be held at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, at the Puppetry Arts Institute, 11025 E. Winner Road, Independence. Mr. Kraig's caravan of global puppets returns. Enter the center ring for crowd pleasing routines of marvel and wonder. Tickets are $6 per person. For reservations, call 833-9777 or email email@example.com
HOW TO SUBMIT: Send your event and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can submit photos in jpg form.