Independence city staff says it asking for continued patience from utility customers as it works through the rollout of the updated billing system. Many customers have been dealing with longer than average call wait times due to increased call volume and detailed questions during those calls.
Utility customers who know their old 16-digit account number may be able to avoid wait times by updating their accounts online at indep.us/payutilitybill.
The city says bills have been delayed to better ensure accuracy for all customers. Those expecting a bill in the mail who have not yet received it will not be penalized for the delay.
Among the important changes customers will see in the new billing system:
• You will receive a new account number, and access codes will no longer be needed.
• You may access your new customer number and account number by visiting the website. You will need your old 16-digit account number to complete the registration process.
• If you have received a version of the newly formatted bill, you will find your new information in the upper right hand corner. It is formatted as your customer number, followed by a dash, then your account number.
• Those who received an electronic bill will need to re-register with their new account and customer information.
• Customers utilizing their bank’s online bill payment system will need to use a combined customer and account number as their new account number on their bank’s website.
• Those who have signed up through the city for automatic electronic payments will not need to update their bank information.
Customers are still be able to pay in person at the Independence Utilities Center, 17221 E. 23rd Street, or City Hall at 111 East Maple Avenue. Drop boxes are available at each location as well.
Customers will not see changes in their utility rates. If you have questions on the changes or your bill, please call customer service at 816-325-7930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.