Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Grain Valley Parks & Recreation Department is now accepting registrations for spring baseball and softball. Prior to the upcoming season, the Grain Valley Athletic Association had administered the leagues. There are several age divisions offered, including coed T-ball for children who are age 4, boys and girls T-ball for ages 5-6, girls coach pitch for ages 7-8, boys machine pitch for ages 7-8, girls and boys 10U for ages 9-10, girls and boys 12U for ages 11-12, and girls and boys 14U for ages 13-14. Access registration online by visiting grainvalley.recdesk.com or www.cityofgrainvalley.org. The online registration also offers expectations of each age group and specific age qualifications. The coaches for the teams are parent volunteers. Each coach must complete a background check. The volunteer coaches’ background check form and instructions can be found on the City’s website by going to the Parks and Recreation tab under “Departments.” For more information or with any questions, call the Community Center at 816-847-6230.
• KCYBA Raining Buckets Tournament, April 29-30, in Independence for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $165 per team with a three-game guarantee. Games have 20-minute running clocks and certified officials. Contact John Marquardt 816-838-5878 or Rodney Gilyard 816-799-7752.
• KCYBA and Shooters Touch Present 2017 Spring Break Camp, March 21-23, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day, at St. Mary's High School gymnasium in Independence. For boys and girls in grades 3-8. Cost is $90 per participant. Skills covered include shooting, ball handling, footwork, post play, guard play. A camp T-shirt is included in the price. Grades 3-5 meet 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. each day and grades 6-8 meet 12:30-2 p.m. each day. For more information or to register, contact John Marquardt at 816-838-5878.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Adult Basketball Leagues begin in April. Cost is $400 per team based on a seven-game schedule and single-elimination tournament (eight games guaranteed). Games will be played on Sunday nights at Blue Springs Fieldhouse and teams may be split into two divisions based on skill level if necessary. Session II deadline is March 24 and games begin April 2. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse, 425 N.E. Mock Ave., during office hours 7 days a week. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• Sports Strategy Developments Basketball Club is seeking players. The club will be directed by former longtime professional players and places a high value on academics, skill, character development and culture. The club is seeking players who did not make the high school team or want to learn from pros. Cost is $150 per month (minimum of three months) and includes: player evaluation report card every three months; two practices per week; and minimum of one weekend competitive tournament per month (with 2-5 games on Saturdays and Sundays). Uniforms ($65 per player) and private skills training sessions ($65 per hour) are not included but there is a 25 percent discount for club members. For more information, send email to email@example.com, call 816-665-5433 or fill out an RSVP on the website at www.sportsstrategydevelopment.com.
• Kansas City Youth Basketball Association will host several girls and boys tournaments for the 2016-17 season. To register for these tournaments, visit the website www.kansascityfuture.com and click on the tournament page.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Beginning Fencing and Mastering Fencing classes are set for March through April at the Blue Springs Freshman Center. Cost is $52 per person for ages 8 and older. The Beginning Fencing class meets 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday evenings from March 22 to April 26 (registration deadline is March 15). Mastering Fencing meets 7:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday evenings from March 22 to April 26 (registration deadline is March 15). Equipment is provided for beginning classes. Pre-register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.) during business hours. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• The 2017 Drumm Farm Golf Club Ladies' 18 Hole Golf League begins with a general meeting on Tuesday, April 18, at 9 a.m. at the Drumm Farm Golf Club, 15400 E. 34th St., Independence. Registration fee is $60. There is a cost of $32 (plus tax) per week played, which includes green fees and cart. (League member may play for this same price Monday-Friday during league season.) Play begins Tuesday, April 25, at 8 a.m. and continues weekly on Tuesdays through Oct. 10. For further information and registration forms, call 816-350-9900 or visit the Drumm Farm website at www.drummfarmgolf.com and click on "Leagues."
• The Independence Horseshoe Club meets at McCoy Park (U.S. 24 and Spring Street) 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings. Open to all ages and skill levels. Each thrower has a partner and pitches two 50-shoe games. All games are 90 percent handicap. Cost of a NHPA sanction card is $28 per year. League membership is $10 per year. Cadets (age 12 and younger) pitch at 20 feet); juniors (18 and younger), women and men age 70 and older at 30 feet; and all others at 40 feet. For more information, contact Alvin Gwinn at 816-806-1726 or Nancy Gunter at 816-694-1800.
• Summit Soccer Club Futures Program has two upcoming sessions for children ages 4-8 at Franke Fields (3650 Rennau Drive) in Lee's Summit. Cost is $65 for a six-week session. Lessons meet 5:30-6:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings. Spring Session 1 is March 15 to April 19 and Session 2 is April 26 to May 31. For more information, visit www.summitsoccerclub.org or contact Cathy Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Spring Adult Softball Leagues begin the week of March 19. The ASA-sanctioned leagues available are: Sunday Men’s D; Sunday Men’s E; Monday Men’s D Doubleheader; Tuesday Women’s; Wednesday Coed; Thursday Men’s Church; and Friday Coed Doubleheader. Cost is $230 for single-game leagues and $380 per team for doubleheader leagues. Registration deadline has passed; call for availability. Register online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.) during business hours. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.