Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts, Missouri Lumberjacks Baseball Team, 11U AAA (2018 season), July 23, at Monkey Mountain Park in Grain Valley. Team will be based in Eastern Jackson County. Players cannot turn 12 years old before May 1, 2018. Looking for parents and players who want to learn the game of baseball with strong fundamentals, hard work ethic, good attitudes and commitment to the team. Coaching staff looking to teach advanced skills of baseball and fundamentals while also learning how to win at the same time. Attitude and effort are a must. Players will be pushed to reach their potential. Players learn to play multiple positions and will begin learning to pitch this next fall and season. For more information, contact Eric Anderson at 816-522-6688.
• PTN Fall Invitational tournament, Sept. 9-10, in Independence. Boys teams from first grade through high school and girls teams from third grade through high school are eligible. Cost is $165 per team with a three-game guarantee and multi-team discounts are available. Games will feature 20-minute clocks and certified officials. For more information, call John 816-838-5878 or Rodney 816-799-7752.
• Sports Strategy Developments Basketball Club is seeking players. The club will be directed by former longtime professional players and places a high value on academics, skill, character development and culture. The club is seeking players who did not make the high school team or want to learn from pros. Cost is $150 per month (minimum of three months) and includes: player evaluation report card every three months; two practices per week; and minimum of one weekend competitive tournament per month (with 2-5 games on Saturdays and Sundays). Uniforms ($65 per player) and private skills training sessions ($65 per hour) are not included but there is a 25 percent discount for club members. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call 816-665-5433 or fill out an RSVP on the website at www.sportsstrategydevelopment.com.
• Kansas City Youth Basketball Association will host several girls and boys tournaments for the 2016-17 season. To register for these tournaments, visit the website www.kansascityfuture.com and click on the tournament page.
• The Independence Horseshoe Club meets at McCoy Park (U.S. 24 and Spring Street) 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings. Open to all ages and skill levels. Each thrower has a partner and pitches two 50-shoe games. All games are 90 percent handicap. Cost of a NHPA sanction card is $28 per year. League membership is $10 per year. Cadets (age 12 and younger) pitch at 20 feet); juniors (18 and younger), women and men age 70 and older at 30 feet; and all others at 40 feet. For more information, contact Alvin Gwinn at 816-806-1726 or Nancy Gunter at 816-694-1800.
• Summit Soccer Club Futures taking registrations for upcoming sessions for boys and girls ages 4-7. Six-week sessions include an introduction to soccer fundamentals with professional coaches at Franke Fields (3552 Rennau Drive) in Lee's Summit. Fall Session 1: Aug. 7-Sept. 15; Fall Session 2: Sept. 18-Oct. 27; Winter Session: Jan. 15-Feb. 23, 2018. Practices are 5:15-6:15 p.m. each Tuesday and scrimmages are 5:15-6:15 p.m. each Thursday during the session. Cost is $99 per session and includes an SSC shirt. To register or to learn more, send email to John Sosa at JohnbSosa@gmail.com or visit www.summitsoccerclub.com.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Fall Adult Softball Leagues begin Sept. 5. The ASA-sanctioned leagues available are: Sunday Men's D; Sunday Men's E; Monday Men's D Doubleheader; Tuesday Women's; Wednesday Coed; Thursday Men’s Church; and Friday Coed Doubleheader. Cost is $230 per team for single-game leagues and $380 per team for doubleheader leagues. Registration is open and deadline to register is Aug. 23. Register online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.) during business hours. Call 816-228-0137 for more information.
• The Youth and Athletic Development League will be starting a youth volleyball league this fall. Coed leagues for grades 3-7. Practices start in September and Independence schools. Games will be played on Mondays at Independence School District gymnasiums and will include a postseason tournament. Register early and save. Register at yaadl.com.