Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Youth Flag Football Leagues registration is open. Practices begin the week of Aug. 13 and games begin Sept. 8 at Blue Springs Park. Divisions are Kindergarten-First Grade and Second-Third Grade. The 12-week program includes four weeks of practices and an eight-game schedule. A mandatory coaches meeting is set for Aug. 8. Deadline has passed; call for availability. Register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137, online at www.bluespringsgov.com or by mail or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.).
• The 2018 Park University Golf Scramble, a four-person tournament that benefits the University’s athletic programs, is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 8, at The National Golf Club of Kansas City. A 10 a.m. shotgun start, with registration beginning at 8:30 a.m. An awards program will be held immediately following the completion of the tournament at approximately 3:30 p.m. Tournament sponsorship fees are $225 per golfer or $900 per four-person team, and includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, box lunch on the course, driving range access prior to the event, on-course games and contests, and refreshments. In addition, a variety of sponsorship packages are available, ranging in price from $1,400 to $5,000. To register for the tournament or for more information, visit www.park.edu/golf.
• The Independence Horseshoe Club meets at McCoy Park (U.S. 24 and Spring Street) 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings. Open to all ages and skill levels. Each thrower has a partner and pitches two 50-shoe games. All games are 90 percent handicap. Cost of a NHPA sanction card is $36 per year. League membership is $10 per year. Cadets (age 12 and younger) pitch at 20 feet); juniors (18 and younger), women and men age 70 and older at 30 feet; and all others at 40 feet. For more information, contact Alvin Gwinn at 816-806-1726 or Nancy Gunter at 816-694-1800 or call 816-325-7999 (option No. 5) for information about what is going in the league.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Fall Adult Softball Leagues registration is open. Leagues available are: Sunday Men’s D and E; Monday Men’s D Doubleheader; Tuesday Women’s; Wednesday Coed; Thursday Men’s Church; and Friday Coed Doubleheader. Cost is $230 for single-game leagues and $380 per team for doubleheader leagues. Deadline to register is Aug. 29. Register online at www.bluespringsgov.com or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.), 5 a.m. through 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday; 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, or call 816-228-0137 to register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard or for more information.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Fall Adult Volleyball Leagues begin Sept. 9. Leagues available are Wednesday Women’s and Sunday Coed (3 females, 3 males). Cost is $200 per team based on a 10-match schedule. Deadline to register is Sept. 5. Register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard at 816-228-0137 or in person at the Blue Springs Fieldhouse (425 N.E. Mock Ave.), 5 a.m. through 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday; 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, or call 816-228-0137 to register by phone with Visa, Discover or MasterCard or for more information.