The only drama that took place in William Chrisman’s 100-80 Class 5 District 15 semifinal win over Fort Osage Thursday night came with 4.8 seconds left in the game.

The only drama that took place in William Chrisman’s 100-80 Class 5 District 15 semifinal win over Fort Osage Thursday night came with 4.8 seconds left in the game.
The Bears led 99-80 when De’Angelo Mack stepped to the free-throw line.
“We were all so excited on the bench, we were jumping up and down, and our fans were going crazy,” said senior guard Justin Clark, who scored a game-high 33 points. “We wanted De’Angelo to hit a free throw to get us to 100 points.”
With Bears fans chanting “Triple digits!” Mack hit one of two attempts to help Chrisman reach the milestone for the first time this season.
The win sets up a 7:45 championship game tonight against Kansas City Northeast, an 85-76 overtime winner over Truman in the night’s other semifinal.
“I know our fans wanted us to reach 100, and we wanted to reach it, too,” said Mack, who finished with six points. “It felt good hitting that free throw. But the big thing was the win.”
Bears coach John Vickers saw the excitement in the eyes of his players when they reached 100, but he wanted to do it the right way.
“I have too much respect for (coach) Josh Wilson and his players to keep our starters in there, or press them, after we get the big lead in the third quarter,” Vickers said. “I didn’t know what to expect tonight because we hadn’t played in nine days.
“And the guys come out and hit everything they threw at the basket. It was a great win to head into the championship game Friday night.”
Vickers watched the Northeast-Truman game and was impressed by the Vikings’ athleticism.
“They can play,” Vickers said. “That No. 13 (Daylen Robinson) is a player. I hope that we have a bit of an advantage because they played two overtime games and don’t have a very deep bench, and we were able to rest all our starters tonight.
“I know one thing, we better be ready because they are so much better than their (9-16) record indicates.”
Clark scored 21 of his 33 points in the first half, hitting all four 3-point attempts in the second quarter.
The Bears took a 57-31 lead into halftime and never looked back.
“That’s as good as I’ve seen them play all season,” Wilson said after his Indians wrapped up a 9-17 season. “What I couldn’t believe was how far behind the (3-point) line they were making their baskets. I told our guys to guard them up to the line, and they’re bombing from 10 to 12 feet behind the line.
“Three of (Nathan) Martin’s 3-pointers were way back there. When he hit the second one, E.J. Gaines looks over at me and says, ‘What do we do now?’”
Vickers said the extra-long 3-point shots were by design.
“We actually practice those every day,” Vickers said. “Justin and Nathan can hit from beyond the line – as you saw tonight. To be as sharp and as crisp as we were tonight, not having played in nine days, is pretty impressive.”
Martin finished with four 3-pointers and 17 points.
“They weren’t guarding me out there, so I was going to take the shots,” Martin said. “Fort scared me. They are always so tough in district and they did score 80 points tonight. It’s just that we scored 100.”
The game was the high school finale for Indians senior Ja’Wan Davis, who scored a team-high 18 points.
“We did a lot of good things this season,” Davis said, after a heart-felt postgame visit with Wilson. “I’d have taken 80 points before the game started. None of us expected them to score 100.”
Tylor Moore finished with 15, Chris Hamilton contributed 14 and Jesse Kribbs added 11 for the Indians. The game ended with a half-court 3-point basket by diminutive 5-foot-5 freshman Lazerus Wooten.
Jon Ekey added 11 points for the Bears. Vickers used 15 players in the game and 11 of them scored.